Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that is what they are called. I have a set of Craigar SSs on my 65 and they aint no fun to put on if you take them off. I had a lug on one of the rears some how freeze comming off and I ended up snaping the stud, andon one of the fronts, I almost had the right wheel installed the last lug was almost all the way tight then it jammed and I ended up stripping the stud while backing it off. So simple in concept but so difficult in real life. I have never had such trouble with any wheel in my 44 years! If they did not look so good installed, I'd make geranium planters out of them! Now I'm done, tommorow I have to buy a new fron stud.

·
Registered
830 Posts
oh the unilug !!!! Rant away!!! I had the same problem with my tru spokes they were a PITA to install !!! It took me about 1 hour to install and yes I snaped two front studs and stripped one. To top things off the left rear kept coming lose!!!! I never had a problem the old Astro Supreams I had I gave up on them I just installed my old wheels painted them red and am running 63 hubcaps I will snap a few pics soon

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I know the feeling. It can be a double, triple Pain...if you have to change a flat, in the rain, at night, on a country road, using a screw jack and no flash light...plus its just above freezing. Mine have the tri-bar spinners so thats one more thing to deal with.

The trick to installing them is to get two on, as best you can. Then jiggle stuff around to get two more started, with the eccentrics centered correctly. Then take one of the first ones back off, put the spacer in ...then finger tight all of them beforetrying to use the lug wrench.

Lot of crap to go thru, but "knock on wood", in all the years of running Cragar SS wheels...so far I haven't lost a stud or cross treaded anything. The worse is having to make sure some tire money doesn't try to use a impact wrench on them, ever!

With Cragars, you really have to check the lugnuts for tightness, about 5 - 10 miles after you change a tire and again about 100 miles or so later. After that, they usually are "set" and won't give you any more trouble, until you take them off again.

But, like you said...they look marvelous.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I hear ya brothuh, there the worst idea ever ! I would rather have to figure a rubix cube in the rain than change one of those things, even the washers bend and the wheel gets scratched ta hell and rusts, yeesh-

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
"Why would people want to steal them?...

You can understand when people steal something of value, or something shiney, or something unique... we are all "collectors", some are just less acquinted, familiar or care about the concept of Yours, Mine, ours.

Just to show how petty is the attraction of theft. A few years back...I had a rash of missing, stolen plastic valve stem caps.

Who would steal Valve stem caps? Other than the fact that is served to Pi** Me off. Who would steal valve stem caps...you can walk by any tire shop and pick them up out of the trash...get as many as you want! At first I was intent on staying in the car over night, to catch them in the act...then I thought about more. What was I protecting? Damn, they were Valve stem caps! Was that truely worth wasting a good nights sleep over?

Comment deleted by OP; just in case anyone might be offended? or misunderstood. I keep forgetting how sensitive people can be when provoked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 3/24/06 12:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The best way to change a flat on a Cragar rim at night is to carry a regular steelie spare and 5 standard lug nuts. No muss, no, fuss, no problem. The best way to mount a Unilug rim is to line everything up, hand tighten the nuts into the unilug then use a breaker bar for torquing. Do NOT use an impact! Just takes a little time, lifting of the tire and rim and care.... In almost 40 years of running unilugs, I've NEVER stripped a thread nor broken a stud.

Jan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After my last episode, I dedicated myself to becoming a pro, or at least a semi-pro at mounting unilug wheels. You just got to get a feel for it. I hope I don't loose my newly learned expertise befor the next time I un-mount and re-mount them. My spare is not a unilug almost just for that reason1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.