Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1963 Galaxie convertible. It has a 390 with the Ford tri-power set up. Can anyone help me with the throttle linkage I need? I've done the wire set up and HATE it.The stock doesn't let the pedal push far enough down to activate the second and third card. Any suggestion welcome. It's goint to be cool when I finish.
Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car Tire

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
372 Posts
The back carb is not even connected. The setup you show looks factory style (right side is correct). Though your photo is hard to see. Why not purchase a Ford factory shop manual? Lots of info there on setting up carbs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The carburetors are oriented correctly in the picture above, though obviously not fully bolted down or connected. Below are a couple of shots of my setup. The right side linkage and the cross piece are available from eBay and other sources for about $65-70. Just google ford tri power linkage and several will come up. Make sure you buy the ones for the FE series (390, 406, etc.) not the small block. Looks like you might already have all that, though. I think I had to clean mine up a little with a file so slides smooth and no burrs.

The dog leg part (to clear around the choke) is available online, too, but it's about $90 and I'm not paying that for a rod. I bought some steel rod (not aluminum, not all thread) from Ace, a couple of heim joints, cap screws, lock nuts and standoffs that look like I made from large roll pins, big enough for the cap screws to slide through. The gas pedal, Z bar on the firewall, and return spring are all from the original 4 barrel setup.

To make the rod, I mocked it up first with a coat hanger, to get the length and shape. Then I clamped the steel rod in a vice and made the bends with a hammer, taking care to keep them all in the same plane. :) I would lay the coat hanger on top as I went, to get the shape right. Then cut the ends so it was the right length, and used a die to thread both ends to match the threads in the heim joints.

This setup works really well. Smooth operation with no sticking, all 3 carbs get full throttle, and return easily. Obviously you can feel with your foot when the outboard carbs start to come in, but that's it.

Pat
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Classic Auto part

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tluks,
The first thing you’ll want to do, verify the gas pedal is the correct distance from the floor. When I first got my 63 Galaxie tri-power, I had to push the gas pedal almost thru the floor to get the other carbs engaged. I believe the species 3&1/4” from the floor (don’t have the manual in front of me) mine was 2”. It is adjusted by the linkage on the drivers side of the carbs. The secondary Rod on the passenger side needs to be adjusted as well. I believe it is 7”.
On mine the 2 slide linkages that go to the front & rear carb are set bout half way. I like it that way, some folks might like it different. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts