Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a T5 from a guy that said it was out of an 84 mustang, but the bellhousing wont fit to my 289, the T5 is an 8 bolt bellhousing, with the top 2 bolts being really close. Is this a T5? Also what is the Difference between a 289 and a 302?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The first year for the t-5 in the mustang was mid year 83. These were non world class units. They are not very strong. In 85 or 86 they went to the world class unit. Any world class unit can be upgraded to "cobra spec", for a price of course. You really have no option with the non world class t-5. As far as it not fitting your 289, the t-5 bellhousing is a 6 bolt, not 8. Yes the top two bolts are close together. My guess is you have an early 289 block which takes a 5 bolt bellhousing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jdsgallops on 3/30/02 10:53pm ]</font>

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i got a T5 that a guy said came out of a 84 mustang, but i cant match the numbers anywhere, can anyone help?
On the top case was the number:
13-51-097-901
on the side of the shifter case was:
13-52-066-908
On the passanger side of the main case was the number:
13-52-065-904
Any help is greatly apperactided.

·
Registered
40 Posts
what year mustang is it going on? sounds to me like its not a t-5 tranny

·
Registered
749 Posts
8 bolt bellhousing? 302's use a six bolt bell housing. What year is yor 289? 65 1/2 and earlyer 289's have a 5 bolt bell housing.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have one of those sitting in my side yard. I got the tranny, ran the tags on a T5 search (the site was www.5speeds.com, on the side bar go to T5 5 speeds, bottom of new page, tag searcher), same thing, 1984 5.0 Mustang/Capri. My tag numbers were 1352-065909 and 1352-066923. It looks like a T5, but there are differences. First, the shifter opening is much smaller, that's how I first realized it wasn't the right one. My aftermarket shifter base was way too big for to opening. Second, my bellhousing I got from an 88 5.0 wouldn't fit on the tranny. The four bolts were in different places and wouldn't match up. But it is indeed a 5 speed, with a rod I shifted and counted 5 gears and a reverse. Go figure?!?!?
BTW, I have a picture of it. If somebody can tell me how to put a picture in my post, I'd be happy to put it up.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I've heard that you can (if thats all you got...)use the T-5 from a 4 cyl. There are some thins you have to know , though...go here www.jason.fletcher.net Hope this helps...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Andy the numbers you have listed are just the casting numbers for the pieces you took them from. They really don't mean anything. The number that will tell you about the tranny is on a bolt the attaches the tailshaft to the maincase. A lot of times it is no longer there meaning the tranny was probably apart at one time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts