Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
my 390 has a few core plugs leaking slightly. i want to replace them. i have noticed brass which i heard is good. but i saw some screw in types has anyone tried these if so how are they

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I concur with FE... the originals lasted this long the new ones will most likely never need replacing again.

You could install a block heater haha never mind your in Vegas! Stu

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I'd be scared of screw in...if by some weird chance the tap breaks, or cuts crooked, you could need a block...I would go for brass if given a choice- they might not last any longer(dunno?), but I would think the softer material would knock in easier- less risk of hurting the iron...

thought: IF someone were to tap out their block for screw in freeze plugs, I would say the block stresses would be bad enough to weaken it, and possibly ruin their 'torque plate honed' round cylinders from the stress of a tapered pipe plug being screwed in- Or am I way off and screw in are actually straight thread/o-ring types??? never actually seen one out of a block.

edit- btw- often replacing these 'in the car' is nearly impossible- if you cant get to them you might have to resort to the (yuck) rubber type with expanding screw/nut...they work, but Ive seen some not last but a few years...Dad had a challenger w/318 that garage put these in- cheep fix, but started leaking after couple years- easy to swap for sure though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ford4v429 on 4/18/06 9:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
830 Posts
Are you talking about the rubber expansion type of plug? Those have a screw in the center that you tighten to expand the rubber . They will not crack your block.but...... they are not the best. Ive used them when I had no room to drive in the brass type. If you can just install brass ones .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.