Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to a running 460 c.i. with a 4 barrel, for FREE. How much trouble would it be to swap out the 352 in my 64 Galaxie 500 with the 460?? I know the Cruise-O-Matic probably wouldn't handle that much engine since it is bone stock. I probably can get the trans that goes with the 460 too, but it's in a truck right now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the tranny mated to the 460 now work in the Galaxie? The motor and trans is mounted in a mid 70's short wheelbase truck.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That would be a C-6, and it will fit with some crossmember and linkage fabrication, etc.

The biggest problems with the swap are going to be with exhaust, accessory drive, and electrical.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If it is a late 70's engine it will be a lazy gas pig in stock trim. Those engines uses a cam and timing gear/chain set that retarded the timing in an attempt to get better emissions quality. An early 429/460 cam and gears will do a lot to cure that issue but it still may be down on compression as compared to the earlier models, but still acceptable and a real torque monster. However unless you are able to spring for some aluminum parts (Heads & Intake) it will be about 150 lbs heaver than a 352 so it may take more suspension modifications to get it to ride and handle like you would like.
I actually removed the 428 from my 60 Starliner and put a efi 460 in it and on that car I had to reshape the floor/firewall area to gain clearance for the trans. My trans is a AODE so a C-6 may not have that issue.
I made my own trans cross member and motor mounts so that the engine would set at the height and angle I was looking for.
64 may be easier or harder than the 60 but the 60 has not been that bad. Oh yea, one other issue I have with the EFI on the 60 is there is no way I will get a hood to fit without a scoop on it.

Scott...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm at the point where I need to make a decision on what I want to do with my Galaxie. Leave it stock, mod it, or sell it. It only has 62 K miles on it but needs some body work to make it really nice. My father-in-law has the 460 he's willing to give to me, just not sure if that's the route I want to go. The 352 in the car now needs exhaust manifolds to be a daily driver.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If you were building a hotrod I would say go 460 all the way..For just a nice cruiser or if performance isn't a real concern its probably much easier to just stick with the 352..Especially if its a low mileage motor that runs good..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It runs great. Just needs the exhaust manifolds surfaced or replaced and it could make a daily driver. Performance wise it does OK. It does have a 4 bbl but the back barrels rarely get opened. Probably just keep it as is.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It runs great. Just needs the exhaust manifolds surfaced or replaced and it could make a daily driver. Performance wise it does OK. It does have a 4 bbl but the back barrels rarely get opened. Probably just keep it as is.
To me that would be the wisest move .. keep it simple.. Why reinvent the wheel.. I rebuilt the 352 in our 63 galaxie 500. Bored it 40 over with a R V cam. She has all the power and speed I need. She out ran my brother's 64 galaxie 500 xl which has a 390 thunderchicken engine.. If it were me I'd rebuild the 352..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
That 460 is not a bolt in. If you have fab skills I say go for it. But if you are a novice rebuild the 352 or find a 390.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you are looking for a good temporary fix until you can get new manifolds or have yours surfaced you could try the embossed copper gaskets.
I know most people say not to use gaskets there but I have found for me that having the manifolds surfaced is not always a permanent cure, after all they got that way once they can darn sure get that way again!
I have never had a leak using the embossed gaskets (just knocked on wood, my head). Cheap and effective just not "Factory correct".

Scott...

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
To me that would be the wisest move .. keep it simple.. Why reinvent the wheel.. I rebuilt the 352 in our 63 galaxie 500. Bored it 40 over with a R V cam. She has all the power and speed I need. She out ran my brother's 64 galaxie 500 xl which has a 390 thunderchicken engine.. If it were me I'd rebuild the 352..
Like was mentioned, if you want a Hotrod definately go with the 460, there is a ton of aftermarket performance parts for it, but you have a lot of work ahead of you. I have a 460 in my '64 Gal but it had a 429 when I got it so mine was 'easy'. If you decide to go with the 460 Crites Restoration has every thing you will need. The performance of a 460 is great but unless you are good at 'wrenchin' and have a lot of time and a good place to work on it rebuild the 352 :).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Take the 460, rebuild it, sell it and make a couple hundred bucks profit to pay for rebuilding your 352 (or for a set of Shorty headers...?). Swapping it out would be a PITA, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take advantage of the opportunity set before you in the form of a free engine. Hell, take it apart and make a V-8 coffee table out of the block if you want... it's FREE!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a pretty good wrench turner and have the experience in engine rebuilding. I do hate to take a perfectly good engine out just to replace it with another.

The 352 uses no oil, doesn't smoke or run hot and cranks each and every time. I think I'll fix the exhaust leaks and ride until it decides to quit...then I'll do something with it. That will be a while.

The big block coffee table is not a bad idea, but I don't think my father-in-law would let me do that to the 460 LOL. It runs too good to do that to it or even sell it.

Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
At least get the motor, stick it in the corner of you garage under a tarp. Then you can decide what to do with it. FE's are great motors but, the '385's replaced them for a reason ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
+1 to the copper gaskets. Mine was a loud, leaky SOB and then I put on the copper gaskets. No more issues. That was 21 years ago and still no exhaust leaks.

If you are looking for a good temporary fix until you can get new manifolds or have yours surfaced you could try the embossed copper gaskets.
I know most people say not to use gaskets there but I have found for me that having the manifolds surfaced is not always a permanent cure, after all they got that way once they can darn sure get that way again!
I have never had a leak using the embossed gaskets (just knocked on wood, my head). Cheap and effective just not "Factory correct".

Scott...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least get the motor, stick it in the corner of you garage under a tarp. Then you can decide what to do with it. FE's are great motors but, the '385's replaced them for a reason ;)
If I had the room I get it in a heartbeat, but that's large lump to have just sitting around. My father-in-law is better equipped to store it than me.

I was tempted to try the copper gaskets but went with the aluminum ones and they didn't help at all :mad:

The exhaust leaks is what's keeping me from driving it more than I do.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
My headers were leaking pretty bad even with good header gaskets. I used Permatex Ultra Copper gasket maker in the tube. Got rid if my leaks :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought about the Ultra Copper stuff. Wasn't sure if it would seal the gaps I have in the manifolds. One is pretty sizable :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts