Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a thing about rearends but have to ask, do the detroit locker rearends make loud clicks when turning like leaving a parking lot and going out on the street?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
They can, and will break the inside tire loose when turning tight like a parking lot. I've one that would lock and unlock with a bang when going around a sweeping corner modest speed. At 60 MPH that's not fun! They have kind of a large square shouldered gear in them that mesh together under load and unlock when the load is released if that makes any sense.

They also try to "push" the car straight when locked up because both tires are spinning at the same speed with no clutch action like a posi rearend.

John

PS: You might want to use the All Ford Techboard section for this type of question. I just happened to find it here myself.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was curious after hearing a fairlane leave the parking lot and it sounded like something loose in the rear end or something. Hard to explain the sound but definitely a metallic clanky sound. The other guys standing there said the owner of the car said that's normal. Just odd of all the cars i hear leaving a show or cruise, none ever sounded like something was loose and rattling around in the rear end unless it was rattling around cause it was broke. :) Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most likely what you were hearing is a Detroit Locker. The difference between a locker and a limited slip. When turning a corner, a Detroit will sound like the whole thing is coming out on to the ground. It takes a little getting acustom to the sound. The newer soft lockers are much better sound wise but every bit a true locker. Under power, a Detroit will not slip unless you break it. I have several...both old ones ('64) and the newer soft locker. I also have Traction Locs(limited slip).

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sometimes my detroit locker crunches and snaps and sounds like the axles are breaking....Other times it doesn't seem to make any noise at all..

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure sounded jingly jangly when he left the parking lot that's for sure. Don't think i've ever heard one before and i'm sure there were plenty out there but maybe they didn't or weren't as noisey as this one.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Sure sounded jingly jangly when he left the parking lot that's for sure. Don't think i've ever heard one before and i'm sure there were plenty out there but maybe they didn't or weren't as noisey as this one.
There have been a lot of leftover Detroit Lockers showing-up on the market from racing teams. If used as-is, these units are often very aggressive, and make a lot of noise. They are much noisier than the common soft lockers sold at places like Summit, and do not have the small buffer springs on the cross shaft to make them quieter. Then again, it could be set up wrong or an old worn-out unit... LOL

David

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see the guy often, only been a couple times, he seems to have an allergy to GM and most cruises those out number us Ford people. lol At least it's a car i recognize since not many of the older fairlanes that i see either. I'll have to pay more attention to the noises and ask him about it. "Enquiring minds wanna know".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts