Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing around on Ebay last week and picked up a set of performer RPM heads, fairly new with rocker studs and 12 rockers for $715. I thought that it was a great deal. I sold my Gt40 heads for $450, not a bad upgrade for $265. Does any one know where I can find 4 rockers? I don't know what brand they are, but the link has some pictures. I know I can buy the crane rockers, but they are $24 each. For $100 I might as well buy a new set. Also, will I notice an increase in power over my 289 heads? They flow better, but I will lose compression. It really doesn't matter as long as I can fix that intake valve that likes to stick open.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
congratulations! That was a pretty good deal indeed. You WILL notice a difference over 289 heads for sure, in our case we had ported 351 heads on a 302, and upon installation of the rpm heads, we dropped .4 off the very first run (conservatively shifting at 5500), and after we got traction, carb, timing, and trans problems sorted out, the car picked up a total of .9 second. Not bad for a simple head swap.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Dude buy a new set of rockers unless you can answer one question, do you know what ratio they are? if not you might be mixing ratio`s, probably wont hurt anything but you could have a different cam on the cylinders with the odd ratio, buy as much as .030 lift which is roughly the difference between the 1.6 and the 1.7 ratio rocker.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
29 Posts
huh, i dint know the e-brock rpm heads were smog legal???

anyway, the rockers are crap if they are PAW in house brand, so go for a set of scorpions for a better price.
get them checked out also, seems strange they have 12 rockers and studs, and not 16...sounds like a mishap.
good luck man.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I thought when I saw the EO number on the side. The guy swears they are RPM heads, he said he even looked up the part number. If they aren't the RPM heads the only difference is the slightly smaller valves that flow 5 CFM less and they are drilled for the air injectio, which I can plug. How much do scorpion rockers run, are they good, or should I find a pair of use harland sharps.
Chris

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have Performer RPM heads, and it is stamed right on the end of the heads " Edelebrock Performer RPM " , it is stamped pretty big so there is no way you cant read it if you look at the end of the head even in a pic.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have an edelbrock catalogue but cant find it right now to share the difference between the Performer and the Performer RPM. IF it was a RPM head it would be stamped and it is not, although you got a hell of a deal, I just paid 1029$ for my heads 2 months ago.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I guessed right but wanted to make sure.
The Performer head is (smog) street legal, the RPM head is not, it does not have the exhaust crossover passage in the middle of the head, and is not drilled for smog air injection. Other wise there are the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts