Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a 1966 mustang and went to the pick-a-part today and was looking for some of the 9" rearends from the Dimension chart at Fordandmustangs.com, but they only cover most old cars, which there were a lack of at the pic-a-part. But i did find a 1979 Ford LTD (4door) with i think is a 9", it had a hump in it, would this work? here are some more cars that i found, will any work?
1981 Ford Pickup 'custom' Has a hump also and thick axels (31 spline?)
A 1987 ford Bronco, had a hump also.
And a 1986 Ford Ranger it also has the hump, there is a little taper in the axles (which i thought might be good for me because my Stang has them too). But on this ranger one of the brakes is F***ed up! Can i just put a different drum on it?
Any haelp will be great!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By hump i just mean on the 3rd member housing, has a hump, not round.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If any of those listed had a removable rear cover (i.e.,the ranger), it wasn't an 8" or a 9". Some of the others were (the LTD), but will be too wide.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
The 9" rearend was discontinued in 1986. The best bet I believe would be one of a 1968 or 1967 Mustang. But again, the rear axle is supposed to be wider on 69-73 Mustangs and Cougars, but I have one underneth mine right know and it fit without a problem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
THE PIRCH MOUNTS ARE THE SAME FROM 65-73 BUT FROM 67-73 THE REAR END WAS 1" LONGER. IF YOU CAN FIND ONE; LOOK FOR A MID-70'S LINCOLN OR GRANADA THAT HAS REAR DISC BRAKES. THESE REAR ENDS ARE 9 INCH WITH THE 65-66 MEASURMENTS. THE MOUNTS ARE THE SAME.
GOOD LUCK.

70MUSTANG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts