Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the 393 in this weekend, and I love it. I used the cheap Hooker swap headers for $104 and they are perfect, I can get a socket on every plug, they clear the towers by at least 1/4" everywhere, the starter drops in with them bolted up. Anyways, after I broke the cam in I took for a ride around the block w/ open headders, WOW, I don't know how you guys drive your cars with more than my 450 horses. Mine scares the crap out of me
. On the way back to college station tonight I had a nice drive for 2 hours at 70 MPH w/out a problem with 12 MPG. The only thing that I dont like is that I have to start in 2nd or 3rd gear, and I can't bring it over 3 grand or my skinny little back tire just spins. I cant wait for a posi and wider tires so I can take it to 6K and poop my pants. I have been smiling ear to ear all day, and have been giving rides around the block to all of my friends.
Anyway, just had to let everyone know how much fun it is to build your first big engine. It was worth every penny, and all of the nights I couldn't afford beer

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Chris, that sounds like quite a kick! I too want to go from my 302 to either a 351 or 393. I like the idea of the 393, but I just got a T5-Z tranny new, and I hear that the torque produced by the 393 will put the T5-Z to its very limit. I don't want to have to go to a Tremec or a 9" rear (I've got an 8" in there now) or do any tubbing either. But the 393 is supposed to be a total torque factory. "Scary" is the way you want them. Have fun. Be safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts