Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I made a thread concerning a rebuilt transmission I had purchased. After a half dozen attempts, I gave up and let the car sit for a month.

Well, regathering my composure after a month, I decided to get back on it.

The company was nice enough to swap out tranny's/check coverter for balance.

New tranny is doing great. No problems so far. My large vibration I had before is *mostly* gone now.

However, I now have a new vibration problem.

Its a rythmic type vibration that comes and goes at regular intervals at a given rpm. It feels EXACTLY like a tire balance problem, except it will do it in park.

Bottom line-torque converter?

Now, before you say yes, check out my history:

Bought new converter with rebuilt tranny. Had vibration (not rythmic). Took back, they balanced it and when I received it, it had a 17gram weight welded to it. Re-assembled. Still had vibration, took back again, they said it was indeed out of balance, and got it back again, this time with a 20 gram weight welded to it about 90 degrees away from the 17 gram weight that was still there.

Is their balance machine off, or is it possible this damn thing keeps going out of balance?

Also, I noticed on the first tranny I had, when the converter was fully seated in the tranny you could grab the top and bottom and move it a little bit (kind of like you can with a wheel on a car with bad wheel bearings). On the new tranny, it doesn't move at all. Its nice and tight.

So, I guess I am wondering if that same torque converter is what probabaly tore up the first tranny?

Last (dumb question). Is this type of vibration potentially damaging to the new tranny?

-Alan

·
Registered
659 Posts
sure sounds to me to be a bad converter.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Have they thought to check the centering of the converter ON the flex plate it's self? If the thing is not centered it will vibrate even if the flexplate is perfectly balanced....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, for clarification, me and my son installed the tranny ourselves. Although I'm no mechanic, I've done a few in my time, and never had problems like this.

I have checked the seating of the converter. I made sure it fit in the back of the crank with no problems, and fully seated against the flexplate, even before installing it in the transmission.

Also, initially, I had purchased a new flexplate because I had some damaged teeth on the origional, but I hung on to the origion flexplate, and have tried both in the past. With either flexplate, and no torque converter installed, there is no vibration.

-Alan

·
Registered
659 Posts
Heck, go to the bone yard and get a converter and try it. Or just get another from a different supplier in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts