Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a street application what is best?

I've got an '85 Bronco, 351W, +.060, Ported/polished, Performer intake, Headers, MSD Blaster, Duraspark II, Comp Cams 35-238-3 xtreme energy 4x4 cam. Stock 600cfm 4160 which was rebuilt w/ motor 12,000 miles ago.

I'd like to improve the everyday fuel mileage but still be able to get on it when needed. The stock carb has some problems and I want to replace it. Any Thoughts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Converted on 4/16/02 3:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would recommend a Carter or an Edelbrock for daily use. I drive my 65 Ford with Carter carb daily. Very good driveability and fewer problems than Holley. Holley's are better for racing as they are more adjustable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kinda thinking along those lines. How do you adjust the mixture on the Edelbrock design?

I see Holley now has a truck avenger. Anyone use those or the street avenger?

·
Registered
522 Posts
The idle fuel / air mixture of a Carter /E-brock carb is adjusted with two needle valves on the front of the carb. They work the same as the Holley, but the Holley's are on the sides of the metering block. The Carter E-brock use jets , but there are rods in the center of the primaries for fuel enrichment. The rods are stepped ( small dia. for power, large for part throttle). These rods are raised / lowered due to vac. requirements instead of the Holley's power valves.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For driveability and mileage, I'd definitely vote for the Carter. (I'd pass on the Edelbrock, I'd really like to know how they pulled off that copy and did not get sued...)

A Carter will give you the best mileage and drivability of all the popular aftermarket carbs, and it's practically a bolt on and go install. Only had to "tune in" one that I'd installed.
All of this "new" Holley "-=Whatever=- Avenger" stuff makes me chuckle. Same 'ol stuff for last 30 years, just costs more money. Huh, comes with $60 (summit) worth of accessories, cost $150 more.....puhhhleezzzee

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
On 2002-04-15 18:29, Hemikiller wrote:
(I'd pass on the Edelbrock, I'd really like to know how they pulled off that copy and did not get sued...)
That's easy, Carter makes them for Edelbrock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A holley double pumper... why didn't I think of that. Heck I've got a 32 gal. Fuel tank

Thanks for the input guys.

A friend just got the truck avenger. I'll wait a couple of weeks to get some feedback from him. Right now I'm leaning toward the Edelbrock.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Clevelandstyle...

Why does the one I have say WEBER on the side then????

·
Registered
80 Posts
it's made for edelbrock by weber under license from carter

is that clear as mud or what?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Actually the only Carbs I use are the "Rochester Quadrajet" clones ... Made by "Weber" and marketed by "Edelebrock".

These things work perfectly and when you get into those secondaries you know something happen.

My experience with Holley was a constant adventure of trying to figure out why it wasn't working right

My Two Cents

·
Registered
749 Posts
holleys rule!

Actually I have no trouble making holley double pumpers run and enjoy tuning them.

Although I have given up on the factory installed holley in our 351W HO 4V van.Im in the middle of installing my 1st edelbrock/carter. All I can say is there is no such thing as a direct bolt on

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you plan on offroading I'd go with the Edelbrock/Carter. I've got the 600cfm #1406 on mine and haven't had any problems. My 85 H.O. Bronco came with a crappy Holley - it'd flood almost every time I started climbing any really wild hills.

Adjustments are a piece of cake - as far as changing the metering rods/springs and idle mix. Spring the extra $15 for the spring loaded needles & seats (if you're into offroading - again, helps control flooding when gravity is working against the floats)

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a good artical worth checking out on www.carcraft.com...go to car tech then tips & tricks, click on picture of carb:look at the side bar for the "The Ultimate Carb Shootout" Holley vs. Edelbrock vs. Q-jet
they put the carbs throught the ropes then posts the results.
It might help in your decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts