Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new radiator. The radiator in my car when I bought it was not the original radiator, (plastic reservoir) but worked up till today when I was driving up a hill and got about 3/4 the way to the top and then started hesitating and went blap, blap, blap when I would try and accelerate. By this time I was at the top and rolled down the backside of the hill towards the beach where luckily enough there was a Kragen across the street. I looked under the hood and coolant was blasted all over my freshly detailed engine compartment originating from where the clamp was on the radiator hose return line to radiator. I went to Kragen and got a new hose and clamps and put those on and refilled coolant. This got me back up the hill I came in on but it still hesitated twice when I got towards the top. It was pretty much downhill on the way back, but noticed when I got home that plastic on the radiator had cracked on the top and coolant was spurting out of the crack. I looked in Dearborn and the replacement radiator was $489 for the 64 Galaxie. Does anybody know where I can get a better deal on a new radiator (aluminum) and should I go with a 3 core or 4 core for a 289 w/ automatic transmission? Will a Mustang radiator fit in a galaxie. There is a mustang service shop close to me. Thanks for your help. Oh and would anything else be damaged internally due to to the vacuum leak that occured when I was moving?

·
Registered
309 Posts
A 3 core will work fine on the 289. You can use a mustang radiator, just about anything will fit in your galaxie. I would check NAPA auto parts, they have a book with all dimensions and hose locations. I recently bought a 3 core for around $200. Most original 289's are 2 core, so even if you get a slightly narrower (mustang) radiator, as long as it's a 3 core it will work. My car will run 180 to 200 Degrees on a hot Norcal day (on the open road) in stopped or slow traffic it will run 240 - 250. The only way around running that temp is an aluminum radiator and an electric fan. A nice set up can run you $600 - $700.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I live up in the city, but this happened in Daly City/Pacifica. I'm off to the radiator shop...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I bought a 3-row brass for a 67-69 mustang. It was about 3" short on each side and about 2" short on the top, but new with a lifetime warranty it was $159 but after thinking about it a bit and what it would take to fabricate a new mount I am going to return it and get a proper fitting radiator and spend the extra $ to not have to mess with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts