Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it worth the money getting my 2v heads ported and polished? how much of a diference will i get? i have a 351c with a 268 comp cam with a holley intake,holley 750 vac.secondary carb. i want it to have some balls when im done with it. from what ive heard the porting job is around $500. should i do it?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I am not sure if this is correct or not, but your ports are PLENTY big. Even though it is a 2v Cleveland. Anyone else wanna give it a go?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I were you and using that cam, I would only smooth the sharp edges, right under the valves. I would do the work myself. If you have an air compressor and a die grinder with some stones, you are set. I hear a dremel tool will work too. Summit sells some 6" carbide burrs and some shorter ones. The 6" ones work great for reaching into the ports. Like MightyMach said, the ports are pretty good size the way they are, and unless you are going to run a lot bigger cam, good intake, headers, etc., I wouldn't do a full port job. Just my $.02. Matt

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would just clean up right under the valves, on both intake and exhuast, and knock down the bump in the roof off the exhuast port. I would also radius the edge of the gasket side of the intake port (knock down the sharp edge along the opening), but not gasket match it unless you are using an intake manifold with ports that are as large as the gasket itself.

With that small of a cam, not much more will be needed and it will still give it plenty of power, especially right off idle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It depends what you want to do with your car. If you have an auto with stock stall and high gears, 3.00:1 etc., then your cam is perfect. Your stock heads would be good too. If you want to port the heads and make a lot of power, then you should consider a cam upgrade. Just remember, when you do the heads and cam, you need to change the whole package. That means, stall converter, gears, better exhaust, fuel system, etc. Remember if you want to play, you have to pay. It just depends what you want. Matt.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hhhhmmmmm...... well the tranny i got on now is a c6 with stock converter and gears. the c4 im putting in has a converter thats not stock,i dont know what the stall #'s on it but its suppose to be better than the stock. as far as my exhaust, i have dual 3 inch pipes with flowmasters.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just finished with my heads. I took the EGR bump out, took the valve guide boss down to the floor, and I tried to get that teardrop shape behind the intake boss but I couldn't get a good enough angle in there. So I just tried to smooth the sharp edges like the other guys said.
I did't do a pretty job, just couldn't find the right bits/stones to make it perfect, but the machine shop guy complimented me on them. fwiw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts