Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the story. I'm 16, and was at school one day, I come home, and my father has bought this 1964 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible. No motor, no title, other then that, it's 99% complete. I have no clue why, but he trusted this guy selling him the car, he said "Oh yeah, I'll get you a title, 2 weeks, max!!" Well that as 7 months ago.... Apparently, in Nevada it's impossible to get a title. That means its IMPOSSIBLE to sell a car here with no title. No one will touch them. So I NEED a title asap. I have heard there are a few companies that do them, but I don't know any of their names, or have any of their numbers. can anyone help? Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
You got several choices and all of them are legal.

First you must have the VIN # checked with the Highway Patrol to see if the car has been stolen or reported stolen or Salvaged.

If the Highway Patrol has no record of the vehicle then you can simply file for a lost title. That's how we did it in Cali, and that's how we do it in Washington.

Below is the duplicate title links for Nevada DMV. There are many ways to get a title.

Just make sure it's not stolen first. Then come back to us.
Duplicate Title

If your vehicle was last titled in Nevada and there are no liens, you may mail an application or drop it off in person at a DMV office. Your title will be mailed in approximately 6 weeks.
Application for Duplicate Nevada Certificate of Title (VP-012)
This form is for use only if the vehicle was last titled in Nevada. If you are not sure whether your vehicle is titled in Nevada or if you do not have all of the information requested, please contact the Records Section for instructions. Use the Credit Card Authorization (VP 205) to pay by credit or debit card.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
FE - along those lines, I did a lost title with the owner of a truck he was giving me. Only $25 and they did it in 5 minutes. Cool. But, they would only print the original record with the original owner's name. How do you get that signed-off to you if the named registered owner is not around?

David

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
When they're not around you simply file a claim for an abandoned vehicle. But that represents another problem in most places. If you do it that way many states are expecting you to have the vehicle hauled off to scrap.

The best way is that if the vehicle has not been registered in over 7 years in Cali and Washington, that means it's out of the system and the state no longer maintains a registry of ownership and a lost title can be obtained by simply stating that your dad lost the title and paperwork 15 years ago after he gave it to you, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Cool, thanks. It also sounds like the OP should be fine then, as the previous owner is still available.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sounds like a stolen car deal to me. Why wouldn't someone have a title on a 99% original Sprint convertable? You should always get the pink on delivery unless you're talking car dealer or bank deal.

John
Ditto, that's what i have been thinking,sounds fishy.

First thing ,get the VIN checked by the police and have them sigh off on it that they found no problems. That's no guaranty but it's a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Why wouldn't someone have a title on a 99% original Sprint convertable?
Happens all the time. It happened with the truck in my post above. I've had to do several title replacements over the years. It even happened to me. After a couple years sitting, a couple years of resto, and a divorce, there was no title to be found for the 1944 Willy's MB Jeep my Grandfather bought new after WWII. My son just inherited a solid and complete 2-door '66 Chevy II Nova, and that side of the family has no idea where the title is. Of course, it's been sitting in a heated garage since 1985, so a lot can happen to a piece of paper in 27 years. It happens - a lot.

David

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Ditto, that's what i have been thinking,sounds fishy.

First thing ,get the VIN checked by the police and have them sigh off on it that they found no problems. That's no guaranty but it's a step in the right direction.
That's what I told him.

Of course he's likely just spam or he would have come back by now if it was real...

·
Registered
634 Posts
That's right FE,he hasn't been back, just never noticed that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'M REALLY SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG TO REPLY!

hey guys, sorry i haven't been on, i didn't realize so many people posed here. i just posted this 18 hours ago. LOL. seriously, no offence, i'm not spamming or anything.

OK, so here is the deal. the cars VIN number has been ran 3 times, car was never stolen.

i talked to the last owner, he claims he just lost the title in a bunch of boxes...

i cant get a duplicate title in nevada, they say that it has to be the registed owner in the DMVs documents getting the title.

as far as i can tell, even if i have power of attorney, i still can't get a title...

any other ideas? by chance, does anyone here live in texas or know how its done in texas? i have a lot of family down there, and we will be in texas in a couple weeks visiting family, so if possible, i may just get a texas title. any thoughts?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes.. IDEA...
Have the guy who said he had the title in the boxes.. Request a new title.. Wasnt he the last Registered Owner?

Or you could have the DMV do a reverse lookup on who owned it last. Then try to make contact that way. And have them request a new title.

You may have to pay the original owner a bit for his time.

Another thing you could do is find someone in another state that will allow Bill-of-Sale and get a new title and do a paperwork shuffle of sorts.. Do paperwork to sale the car to them, they get title, then turn around and sale to you. Tada Title. Sorta a laundry game but.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
If the DMV won't accept POT paperwork, ask the previous owner if he will go with you to file for a lost title, throw him a few bucks and or lunch.
Maybe some of his favorite beverages?

Jet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes.. IDEA...
Have the guy who said he had the title in the boxes.. Request a new title.. Wasnt he the last Registered Owner?

Or you could have the DMV do a reverse lookup on who owned it last. Then try to make contact that way. And have them request a new title.

You may have to pay the original owner a bit for his time.

Another thing you could do is find someone in another state that will allow Bill-of-Sale and get a new title and do a paperwork shuffle of sorts.. Do paperwork to sale the car to them, they get title, then turn around and sale to you. Tada Title. Sorta a laundry game but.

i was thinking about contacting the previous owner.... i was just REALLY hopping there was another way. the whole bill of sale thing, i'm hopping texas will allow my to get a title for the car based on bill of sale, if so then i'll work something out with a family member. if i can't find a company to do it, and texas will not get me a title, then the only thing i really can do is contact the previous owner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the DMV won't accept POT paperwork, ask the previous owner if he will go with you to file for a lost title, throw him a few bucks and or lunch.
Maybe some of his favorite beverages?

Jet
thinking i might have to, but i'm going to look into getting a title in texas first. if i can't do it there, then yeah, i'll contact him, and work something out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You got several choices and all of them are legal.

First you must have the VIN # checked with the Highway Patrol to see if the car has been stolen or reported stolen or Salvaged.

If the Highway Patrol has no record of the vehicle then you can simply file for a lost title. That's how we did it in Cali, and that's how we do it in Washington.

Below is the duplicate title links for Nevada DMV. There are many ways to get a title.

Just make sure it's not stolen first. Then come back to us.
Duplicate Title

If your vehicle was last titled in Nevada and there are no liens, you may mail an application or drop it off in person at a DMV office. Your title will be mailed in approximately 6 weeks.
Application for Duplicate Nevada Certificate of Title (VP-012)
This form is for use only if the vehicle was last titled in Nevada. If you are not sure whether your vehicle is titled in Nevada or if you do not have all of the information requested, please contact the Records Section for instructions. Use the Credit Card Authorization (VP 205) to pay by credit or debit card.
i can't get a duplicate title. it has to be the owner in the DMVs records. i'm thinking i may just call him to fell him out in a few hours, see if there is any way he can get the title, or maybe he has found it. (he STILL has parts, nothing of value, but we took two truck loads....)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts