Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 1967 fairlane 500 and i need to replace the 20 y/o tires on it before i can drive it. i was looking at running a magnum 500 rim on it but i have no idea what size tire to put them on because it seems like a wider tire than i am currently running would rub. i looked underneath the car and it seems like a wider tire would rub on the arm that you bolt the wheel onto. im stuck and i need any help/suggestions.
thankss [[[:

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
What size tire and rims are you running now? You also need to knw the rim's backspacing to get the rim size right.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I was able to get away with pretty wide tires on the rear of my 67. Just could not do anything on the front through. Put anything wider up there and it will rub someplace when turning tight, Brrup, Brupp, Brupp. It was a problem just turning tight into something like a parking stall.

In round figures, I could not get away with anything wider up front than what came upon the car. I had heard the autos which had disc brakes could take on wider tires, by an inch or so, but it just seemed to rub in another location.

Wm.

·
Registered
201 Posts
One solution is to determine the biggest tire that will properly fit your wheelwell and opening, then get the widest wheel recommended for that tire by the tire manufacturer. Before settling on backspace (the distance from the back edge of the rim to the back of the wheel center) look over the stock wheel while mounted on the hubs and see if any extra space exists between the WHEEL and the car's suspension components.

Stockton Wheel Co. can send you a tack welded wheel that you can use to check backspacing before you order a full set of wheels...
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/orderform.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
i run 245-60 15's on back with 7in. wheel 4in. backspacing. 205 70-15 on front same width and backspacing. front is lowered 1 coil on spings and no rub. hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts