Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 mustang 289 4v. i was wondering what would be the best thing to do first to improve my quarter mile time. I have a 4 speed and a 3:00 rearend. I want something that won't cost a lot but will had the most horsepower. I have headers now but stock exhuast system. Also what are the best mufflers for the buck?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depending on how you plan on driving, street or strip or both. Gears always give best bang for buck, could look at intake and cam, or a set of heads if your looking at spending money.

But look at the intake and cam, and play with the timing. If you can afford it look at a set of 3.54 gears and you'll have a fun little car.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Assuming you'll drive your car on the highway now and then, go for 3.55 gears. This will allow you to jump off the line quickly (of course, this does not change the power output of your engine, it just multiplies the torque). 3.50's in my opinion are as high as you want to go if you've got a non-overdrive transmission and want to run on the highway, but they're a good gear all around. You'll notice significant seat in the pants launchability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i think i am going to go with the gears, many people have told me that is the best way to go. But now what would be the next thing to do so i can beat those crappy imports at my school.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
3:50 gears is the quickest way to put the HP you have to the pavement, locate a good used pumpkin and swap them out, you could probably pick up an open 3:50 gear set for really cheap, that would get you started. If you have headers and decent exhaust system there wont be a whole lot to gain from exhaust improvements (HP per dollar).

An Edelbrock Performer RPM with a holley 600 DP would be next on my list also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You'll have to forgive me, but does your car have cat converters. A good set of headers, H or X pipe and some free flowing mufflers will give you your next big HP gain. You could also look at underdrive pulleys, clutch fan instead of solid mount, and a limited for the rear.
If your changing the gears anyway, may as well have both tires spinning.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
We have done the best muffler thing, but IMHO, Flo-Pros are the best bargain for the buck. They flow as well if not better than flowmaster, aren't quite as loud but, have a great sound and are about $35 a piece.

·
Registered
669 Posts
diff ratio is cheap hp if the car has 5speed or o/d i would go 3.9 or 4.1 or if its a 4speed or auto i would go 3.5 or 3.7

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just had someone tell me that switching out my flex fan for and electric would give me a good 8-10 hp. right off the bat.

cam and intake will get you the RPM's.
rear gears will get you off the line. If you go with gears get the limited slip, get both of those wheels grabing the street.

I just put 3.70 with a trak loc, and I like it, I think I max out at about 110 mph (speedo only goes to 90) but that's in a '56 ford pick up.
`````````````````````````````````````````
'56 f-100, '72 Torino Front clip, 351C, C6, 9" w/ 3.70's, 255 R15 TA's

·
Registered
567 Posts
Exhaust, drop those cats! Gears will help a whole lot, just take back roads a lot...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Builtfordtough on 5/24/02 7:01am ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts