Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gal). I have a co-worker who has to move here in the next month or so, and she has some old ford sheetmetal and body shells. She also has the chassies for two of them. Now, she's not sure how old they are, she figures between 1928-1932. Now, they are really rusty, from what I've seen when I drive by, but how much rust is too much rust? I mean, what is the point where the body cannot be saved becasue the rust is too much. I mean, the price is right, 25 bucks per car with more "suff" piled on. I have a 351 C with two barrel heads with the big valves sitting on the side of the house begging to be put in a hot rod or little roadster. Before I get in above my head with this car, I need to know whats the "line" on if the body is salvageable or junk, and how difficult would it be to get this hunk of iron rolling down the road? I figure it needs the engine/trannie/rear end (duh) plus brakes, guages and wheels, gas tank and some type of seat/bench
The steering set-up is still there, and I figure I'll leave it alone for now, however a bitch it will be to steer it. I just kinda want a roadster to fiddle around with. She also has a '67 Ranchero minus trannie that she'll give me if I want it. If only my parents had more room!! Anyways, let know what your opinion is on when the metal is to a point where its junk. Enough rambling for me, its your turn now! thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I'm interrested in the '67 Ranchero if you want to sell it and if it's in good enough condition. I don't want the engine/trans but the rest would be perfect for my 428SCJ. Please let me know dude!!!!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Hey Joe
Any chance you may be able to take a couple of pics and e-mail them to me? There is a non-profit group up here that takes old iron, and with volunteers they rebuild/streetrod these cars and auction them off for other charities. Right now, their storage area has 3 cars left. These will be done by late June.

Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Aint worth it. Just give me the address and I'll take care of it

Naw. Get em!!!!! Maybe find out what they are too. Get some pics.
You need to start doing a lot of reasearch. if they are model A's go buy "How to build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop

start reading Street rodder, R&C, street Rod builder, etc.

Are we talkin surface rust or rot?

Get em now, and figure out what to do later.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I have a truck, trailer & 5 acres just waiting for some iron & only work 4 days a week. Turn me on to some?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nothing is to rusty. Steel body are well sought after. If there are any '34 Ford fenders there I would be interested. Send pictures if you can.
If you do take on the project for yourself plan on a few years and lots of $$$$.But the results will be well worth it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coupe3w on 4/7/02 8:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I'm going over to the place this saturday, the 13th. I'll take the digital camera with me too, I'll just need some assistance posting the pics. I'll keep everyone informed!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Joe
I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. If the cars are not basket cases, the group here would purchase them from you or your friend. I have a 44'enclosed 5th wheel that would be there in 28 hours (carrying 4 dozen Canadian beers as a finders fee too).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the finders fee, except I'm not 21 yet (not that it matters) and becasue of the heart attack, no booze. Oh well. I'll keep everyone informed. Email me with a phone number to contact with you, and a mailing address. Thanks

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Joe,

You can buy steel repro stuff to fill in the gaps if the cars are too far gone. The price is right as long as something is salvagable. Roadsters are cool.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went over saturday evening to go look at what she had, and boy was she confused on what she had. The so called '28-'32 ford was actually the back half of some mid 30's ford with a Body by Fisher Cowl (Chevy) resting in front of it. So basically its worthless, there were some really high caliber bullet holes in it, and the nice flame cut job someone did to the ford body was a shame. However, the ranchero wasn in that bad of shape. It was first off a 1968, it had the single head lights, but it wasn't really super small like the falcon based ones. It has in it a 289 minus the distributor. I'll be able to post pics on Thursday for you all to see what I saw on Saturday. Anyways, thanks for your guys suggestions, too bad it wasn't meant to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts