Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And tell me if the reservoirs are the same size or if one is larger than the other.

I need this from a 67 with Power DRUM brakes.

Help!!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Depends on the car and year but some mc front and rear reservoirs are the same size. Very common with manual drum brakes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the car and year but some mc front and rear reservoirs are the same size. Very common with manual drum brakes.
That is why I asked for a "67" on a "Galaxie" forum for "Power Drum Brakes".

Can't be anymore clearer than that.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
That is why I asked for a "67" on a "Galaxie" forum for "Power Drum Brakes".

Can't be anymore clearer than that.
Winged one, I think you meant to say, "Can't be any clearer than that." Don't worry about it though, mistakes happen and we are all friends here.

If it were me, I'd look that part up, like at Rockauto: More Information for RAYBESTOS MC36231

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone out there that can help with info from their 67?

Have a hard pedal. Mechanic cannot find anything wrong with booster and thinks the MC should have equal reservoirs because they are drum brakes. But every aftermarket I looked up since this morning shows a larger reservoir for the front brakes that is generally used on a Disc brake system.

Soooo, if anyone with Power Drum brakes that work ok, can tell me what type of MC (equal or non-equal) they use, it would be very helpful.

I, personally, don't think its the MC configuration that is the problem. But knowing what others have would help this.

The brake is like a rock with little travel, when first started. Then down the road, the brakes work well in the same initial travel, but again, hit a rock with no additional braking affect. It's not like you have to push harder. I had a 67 with manual brakes. I know how those feel. This is like there is a rock under the pedal (and yes, I checked, lol).

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Might be too big a bore, as they get bigger the pedal gets harder and shorter. As much as 50%.

Yes it does seem strange having an unequal reservoir for same brakes all around. Can you get a look at the Ford manual?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
While you have received some solid answers (even though you don't see them as that), and considering same year/model cars often received different versions of parts during the production run - I'm curious why you are asking. What's your goal? Originality? Another problem of some sort? The reservoir size will make no difference to your pedal firmness. The booster may be functional but with a sticking valve. Do you know what tests the mechanic ran on the booster? Do you know if he measured the pushrod depth and adjusted it properly?

David

·
Registered
571 Posts
I can't tell you if it's original, but my '67 with power drum brakes has an MC with different sized reservoirs:

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Just to ease your mind, a lookup shows all the '67 power brakes (drum or disc) have a larger front brake reservoir, a 15/16" bore, and used a low-ratio brake pedal. All the manual brakes (drum only) have equal-size reservoirs, 1" bores, and high-ratio brake pedals. There were about 9 versions of MCs used on '67 Galaxies that I could find.

To identify the power drum MCs with two residual valves from the power disc MCs that had only one - the drum version had larger 9/16" and 1/2" fittings, where the disc version had 1/2" and 3/8" fittings.

Also, in '67, they used both the Bendix booster (crimped halves) and the short version of the Midland booster (banded halves), so you could use either.

David

PS: In Mazlem's pic above, you can see he has the correct MC and a Midland booster.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't tell you if it's original, but my '67 with power drum brakes has an MC with different sized reservoirs:
Mazlem, THANK YOU.

That is all I asked for. As I noted previously, my mechanic thinks the issue is having different sized reservoirs. Your car proves that is not the issue, because you have them, and you didn't mention any problems with your brakes. Originality was never in my questions. Thanks Mazlem.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
... The reservoir size will make no difference to your pedal firmness.
I apologize if I sounded curt, but your question was, and is, pointless. So now you're happy you have a photo to confirm what you were already told, but you still have crappy brakes. I was trying to help you with your real problem (knowing your question wasn't it), but it seems you are not taking it that way. If you would like to answer the questions I asked, I'll try to help. If not, that's fine too.

David

PS: One word of caution to clear my conscience - it is obvious your mechanic does not understand brake systems. Be careful of the work and advice you get from him/her.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My question was a simple one. You folks made it complicated. Don't piss at me about it being a pointless question when it obviously wasn't as Mazlem was able to give me the answer I needed. An unequal reservior is and can be used successfully.

I didn't need the history of 67 galaxie brake systems. You told me nothing I didn't already have in my 67 manual and my Ford parts number manual.

I needed to find out if a 67 with power Drum had equal or unequal reservoirs for a car in use (not as it came from the factory). Look again at my OP. Its a very clear, easy question. Why I needed the information was and is, irrelevant to the question.

Don't answer questions that are not there. Don't read between the lines. If you cannot respond to the question, don't post.

But you're right about one thing, I am disappointed my mechanic is going down the wrong road. He has been successfully working on my old cars for 20 years.

·
Registered
645 Posts
As you have already found out, a reservoir with different size bowls will work for a car with all drum brakes. But all drum brake cars are supposed to have a reservoir with the same size bowls. Power brake master cylinders have larger bores than non power brake cars. I replaced the master cylinder on my 63 with a dual bowl master cylinder that I thought was for a manual brake car. The pedal was extremely hard and it took an extreme amount of pressure to get the car to slow down. Apparently my master cylinder had the larger bore and was for power brakes. I added a power booster and it stops normally now. My guess is that your main problem is that your master cylinder has a larger bore for a power brake master cylinder. If you decide to get a different master cylinder, I would get one with the same size bowls also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts