Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys Im going to get this new trailer. I need to know what one you like better?

Im going with a "Road Warrior" 18 1/2 foot model,but cant decide on a flat bed with a dovetail and ramps or the tilt model?

The two have certain advantages I can see.

I like the wood floor flat model because it doesnt get as slippery as a metal floor would in rain and snow.

But,I like the tilt model for ease of loading and added ground clearance for low cars to go on.Also I like the fact that the tilt has no ramps to F-around with.

I have a ad from the place Im getting it from,Im leaving for the place 4:00 am Saturday morning so I have to make up my mind soon!

What ya think,flat wood bed with dovetail and ramps,or tilt model steel floor no ramps?

Help me decide,I value you guys for input!

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock-White Lightning
66 Galaxie 500 390 4-V auto-future 4 or 5spd.
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/23/02 6:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The tilt ones real neat for the fact that it dont have any ramps looks like you have to disconect from your truck to function which aint bad. All i have is flat one with ramps have to crank up the front jack to get it high enough to get car on. Buy the tilt

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with your views about the tilt trailer Coolfalcon.

I think the no-ramps feature with the tilt is real nice.

The last time I was hauling the Falcon to the fab shop we had a little bit of trouble unloading it.We had put the car on a little sideways and when it was rolling off the trailer it almost missed one of the ramps and fell off!

Also its kinda a weird feeling loading and unloading by yourself with a flat trailer with ramps,you have to be sure you lined it all up good and keep the steering wheel straight!

With the tilt trailer the whole back end becomes a 82" wide ramp,it would be very easy to load and unload with a tilt trailer.

I guess Im about 95% sure Im going with a tilt,I really dont haul much in the winter anyways so the icy steel floor really wont matter.

I also having a 4500 lbs Superwinch remote winch put on the trailer to pull cars up onto it.

Ill probably add some of those D-rings into the floor of the trailer to add some spots to strap cars to.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dragman,a dovetail is the slightly angled down rear section of the trailers bed.It is made into the flatbed trailers to help bring the ramps to a more acceptable angle to load cars.

I have loaded cars onto complete flat trailers with no dovetail before in the past and its very very hard to gain clearance onto the trailer with only a 5 foot ramp.

The tilt has a definate advantage for low ground clearance cars,all you do is tilt the trailer up winch or drive the car on!

So,if any of you other guys are thinking of a car trailer,definatly have a dovetail design in mind for it.

Ill have some pretty neat stuff added to this tilt trailer,the winch,D-rings and maybe some loading lights mounted on the front rails to light up the bed for loading at night?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Also i would use like a magnet from a big speaker drilled a hole it stuck a whip in it with a little flag in the center of the trailer and at the position where i wanted to stop so i could load it myself and knew were to stop. My trailer has a dove tail and with the 5 foot ramps it still aint long enough still have to jack the front up and its only going to get worse when the falcon done for it will sit lower than what it use to. Buy the tilt and if you find it slippery repaint it and spread heavy grit sand in the wet paint for non slip.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I haul my race car on a tilt deck trailer and it sure is nice but there are a couple drawbacks too. The front spoiler of my car hits the deck before the front tires do so I have to use a couple short planks in front of the tires to keep from tearing off the spoiler. If the deck is slippery at all the car will spin out as the angle is quite steep when you are loading it. I had it slide sideways into the fender one time.
If the car is dead and you have to push it on that is a lot of work again because of the steepness. You also have to have someone in the car to apply the brakes if you're pushing it on. I usually have a helper when I load the car. I drive it on a bit further than where I want it, he hooks up the front tie down chains and then I let it roll back all before lowering the deck. It gets the front chains nice and tight and then its just a matter of hooking up the rear chains and cinching it tight. I dont have to unhook the trailer to jack up the deck and I sure do like not having ramps. Another thing I like is that without ramps you arent limited to what width of vehicles you put on as long as they fit between the fenders. I can haul snowmobiles easily, garden tractor etc.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking of some ideas about how to make the steel deck of this tilt trailer less slippery?

I had thought up the idea of having two strips of the "expanded" metal grating added to the floor so the tires would be sitting on it?

It would also give a "gripped" surface to drive the car up with.

The "expanded" metal I have seen is real strong yet real thin,I wonder if this would work the best?

I will take the new trailer down to my fab guy and see what he can do for it?

I think the sand in the paint deal for traction would work too,but I wonder how long it would last?

I called the trailer dealer today to see what models and colors they had in stock?

The dealer said they had 5 tilts in stock that where black,red and grey in color with a 18 1/2 foot deck and even some 20 foot tilts that are a new model that just came in.

The 20 foot tilt was only $75 more,but I dont think I need a 20 foot for any reason?

More than likely I will get the 18 1/2 foot model.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'd go for the tilt bed. With the winch setup its a one man job.
I've seen guys use the peel and stick abrasive paper on the rear section. It seems to work alright. Thats if the floor is not diamond plate.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for your input!

I have to go to sleep now in order to be on the road at 4:00 am for the trip to pick up the trailer.

Its a 275 mile trip one way and they are only open from 8:00 am to noon Saturdays,so I want to leave here at 4:00 am so we get there about 8:00 am.

Its sleepy time,Ill post some pictures of the new tilt trailer Saturday afternoon.

See ya!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I just bought a Road Warrior a couple of months ago.
I got the 16' version with the bobtail.
Pretty blue color.
I've always borrowed/rented trailers before, and by far the hardest to get onto was the flat ones.
The bobtails were easiest of the flat non adjustable trailers.
I've never had the option to use/borrow a trailer that has hydraulics.
I've also had to jack the hell up the front of all trailers I"ve ever utilized because of the lowness of the stang.
It's a pain in the ass, but you get used to it.
As far as getting it on the trailer on the same place every time, I guess lots of practice does it for me.
If I"m in a real hurry, (like rain outs, etc,), I have a block of wood mounted in the front so I can only go 'so far'.
But as far as side to side, again, I guess it's just practice makes perfect.
My .002

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you get the one with the metal floors, and it gets slippery. Have the floor coated with spray in truck bed liner. I think that would help, right?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have an 18 foot steel deck with dove tail and it works good for me!! The only problem is I have to tow the Cobra without a cover and have gotten caught in the rain once....really sucked!!

What about mounting an electric winch to pull the car on when wet or a dead car??

I plan to sell mine and build an enclosed one for the Cobra......sometime before next Fall.

Cobrajack

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back from Colfax Wisconsin!

It was about a 4 hour ride there to pick up the trailer.

I picked up this dark gray 18 1/2 Road Warrior tilt with a wood deck.

It pulls real nice and its easy to load,I put a car on it in about 30 seconds by myself!

Hey Dragstang 79, this trailer came from Johnson trailers in Colfax,its pretty close to your house hey?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/24/02 3:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good idea Greg!

I went out and checked the trailers tires to see what they said on them.

They are Goodyear "Marathon" radial trailer tires,the sidewall says "only for use on trailers"?

I wonder what makes these tires so different that you can only use them on trailers?

Hum? I dont know?

I have to start to shop for a 4500 lb. winch for it now.

I see that Jegs and Summit both have them listed but thought that a "off road" place might have a cheaper price?

Coolfalcon,In general the wood floors dont get real slippery compared to steel.

I have not tried to load the trailer with a "wet deck" yet but Im putting a 4500 lb. winch on it so I could always pull them on if its too slippery to drive them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/24/02 7:05am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Yes, Tom, Johnson Trailers is where I purchased my Road Warrior trailer. Nice place. Way the hell out in the boonies. (even for that area). You drive thru town, hang a left, and drive like 4 more miles. Just when you think you're either past it, or going the wrong way, you see a buttload of trailers, of every size/color/design all sprawled out along the field.
I thought the lady behind the desk was nice, but the owner was kind of a dickhead. Business, business, business. Just wanted my money, and sign the papers, and get the hell out of here attitude.
I was going to buy a spare and some other non essentials for the trailer while I was there, but HIS attitude just pissed me off too much.
Funny thing tho. It's his dads farm that the trailer sales place is on. I talked to his dad the week before when the owner/(his son), was gone. Dad was nice old retired farmer. Friendly as hell. Exact opposite of his dickhead kid.
Oh well, enough ranting.
And, yes, even tho I've only towed my trailer from Colfax, to my house, to the shop a couple of times, and since then it's been in storage, (until a couple of weeks from now, or so), I agree, it tows real nice. (even at high speed)...........

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dragstang, we also thought we had passed the trailer place up or were going the wrong way too but then we saw a "buttload of trailers" like you said sitting on the side of the road.

The lady was real nice there,the guy didnt really say much but did give me a free harness adapter for my trailer lights?

I guess I would go back there but,my nexted trailer will be a enclosed type and I can find those all around here.

I like the tilt Roadwarior model and the only place in Wisconsin that carries them is Johnson trailers in Colfax.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts