Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...cam in my motor. It won't idle below 11-12 hundred RPMs without stalling- any suggestions to lower the idle without changing the cam?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
What kind of carb do you have. 4 corner adjustment carbs can really help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
How much is to much? Cam? Engine displacement? Comp ratio? All helpful with these kind of questions.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You can adjust the values tighter or open them more and can see a difference in the running. Open them more allows more fuel waiting for the valve open and tell if you got too much cam. I guess someone smarter will take this theory up if I am correct or wrong.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
You can adjust the values tighter or open them more and can see a difference in the running. Open them more allows more fuel waiting for the valve open and tell if you got too much cam. I guess someone smarter will take this theory up if I am correct or wrong.
"fuel waiting" guessit could be seen that way .

open the lash only works for solids and has limits of increasing lash

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kind of need more info on your combination but assuming it's an automatic trans,what is the stall speed of your converter?Why did you pick that cam in the first place,and how big is it?I've never had luck with Rhoads Lifters.Didn't even know they still made them.The wrong cam is still the wrong cam.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
351W block stroked to 427 (4.125" x 4.00"), Hydraulic lifters, 10.5:1, Mass-Flow EFI w/ 1000 cfm throttle body, 5spd...

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Time out - this is a Mass-Flo system, and SD EFI can often be fooled by cams without tuning. I would first call Mass-Flo for troubleshooting advice. Other possibilities include a timing issue or a vacuum leak. Find that with a vacuum gauge, header tube temps, and spark plug reading from idle.

Tell us your cam. You started a thread about your cam, and still haven't given info about it. Don't make us pull teeth for info here. If you want remote-control advice or info, you have to give more info than you think we need. Start barfing info and keep it coming.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts