Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, went to the car show today (at Back Woods Larry) Well I thought I would be cool, and drive the car open headers down there 1 mile to the show. I got to the end of my street, and I hear a wretched noise...I turn off the key, and the car is still on. I have NO idea what the hell is going on. I pop the hood open immediately and pull the coil wire. The motor dies. But, is still cranking. Then I pull the battery cable. Hmmm??? Put the cables on, and it starts...COOL!!! Drive it open header to the show, pull heads like no other...I feel like King ****. EVERYONE walks frantically over to the car when I lift the hood to see a monster. (a small block Cleveland)

Get ready to leave and a big Block Chevelle starts up his car to warm it up and leave. he did not hear the mach 1 pull in, so he has no clue. He starts it up. I get in the mach 1 to start it. IT STARTS!!!

Then the wretched noise starts...DOUGH!!! Get out, pull coil/battery. Hmm...Beat the **** out of the starter...put coil wire back on, and touch the battery to the post. Car starts cranking over...KEYS ARE IN MY POCKET. WTF?? Beat the starter a little more, then the starter solenoid. Starts up okay. sounded like a beast again, but still I ran like a dog with my tail between my legs.

What is the problem here?

The starter?

Jeff Given

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I'm no expert but I think its the starter solenoid (relay).

Something interesting happened to me before. When doing things to my engine, I sometimes felt the need to crank the engine by putting a key to the starter solenoid and crank it that way. Ever since I installed my MSD ignition, I can't do that anymore. When I do, my starter keeps cranking over and over until I disconnect the battery. Just a thought -- was thinking maybe you had an electric ignition and maybe it was wired a bit weird?

By the way, you live in Corona, CA? Thats about 45mins from me...

Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66stang on 1/20/02 1:11pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alta Loma...Close to Corona... Well I just bought a new one and that was last week. Infact about a week to the hour. I will take it back to pep boys, and try that out. Couldn't hurt I suppose

Jeff Given

·
Registered
809 Posts
The solenoid supplies the power to the starter. If the starter is cranking continually the soleonid is either stuck or there is a wiring problem to it. Problem won't be the starter unless it is the type that has the solenoid built on to it.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Check the ignition switch. Mine has just worn out and it does strange things sometimes.

Derek

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I agree with Windsoreight try pulling the small wire off the solonoid that goes to the little terminal marked S. This should only have power when you are holding the key to crank position.If you are getting power here without cranking the key you must have a short or bad ignition.Of course you have to check this when car is cranking by itself.My bet though is its the solonoid I had the one on my 82 ford do the same thing just this week, had to shut off the key open the hood jump out and beat on the solonoid with vise grips till it stopped.It would work again for a few starts and then it would stick again.Put on a new one, problem solved.NOT COOL

·
Registered
582 Posts
This happened to me in my '67. It turned out to be in the wiring harness that runs along the bottom cross member that the radiator rest on. You see my car was hit in the right front and the harness got damaged in the accident if I just moved the harness by hand the car would start and the starter stayed engauged, with no key in the ign. switch. That harness I believe runs from the ing. switch to the solenoid. I would check that harness or your ing. switch.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris, yes I do have an MSD ignition. 6AL. and yes it is Corona CA. Tomorrow I will try the solenoid.

Thanks a lot,
Jeff Given

1 - 9 of 9 Posts