Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. I've been running a CompCams Magnum 281HR in my 331 stroker since spring. It's a fun one when you get into the power band but I'm getting tired of the rough idle.

I'm thinking of replacing it with the Xtreme Energy XE270HR. It has the same lift but a 114 lobe sep as opposed to my 110 on my Magnum. Is anyone running this cam and can you describe it's idle characteristics. I don't mind a very slight lope.

My engine specs:

5.0 roller block
331 CI
Eagle crank and rods
KB Hyper pistons
9.6:1 static compression
Edelbrock RPM heads with 2.01/1.6 valves
Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake
Ford OEM roller lifters
Comp Cams Pro-Magnum full roller rockers

The tranny is a C4 with an Edge Racing 3200 converter.

Any feedback is welcome. I'm going to call Comp Cams to get there opinion although they recommended this cam in the first place.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Go custom for your setup.
I used comp for my grind, but there are many other great cam guys.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have two custom grinds from Isky Cams. One in a 302 and the other in a 393 Cleveland. With the 302, I tried Ford Cams and Comp Cams before getting the right grind from Isky Cams. Same with the Cleveland: Erson Cams, SSI Cams, Comp Cams then Isky Cams. I called Comp Cams on several occations to get a custom grind for both motors. They kept coming back with "we have one already ground for you". But when I tried them out it was either all low-end with nothing up top, or no giddy-up and all above 4000rpm. I read an article and did some research on Isky Cams. I called and spoke to Rod at Isky Cams. They listen to you and ask the right questions. I have found my cam maker. I'm sure there are other readers with similar stories. Basically, all cam makers are great other wise they would not be in business. The key is to talk to as many as you can and determine which one has the solution you are looking for. We are all different and so are our motors.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got off the phone with Comp Cams. The tech recommended the Xtreme Energy XE270HR (35-324-8). It has the same lift as my Magnum at .512 but a lobe sep of 112. Duration is 218 in/224 ex.

62 Falcon - 331 stroker - C4

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pbrown on 10/25/06 2:40am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called Isky. They recommended a stock grind cam number 371265/275. It has a lift of 500 intake and 520 exhaust and a 218 in/228 ex duration and a lobe sep of 112.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with all the major cam companies and decided to go with the Isky. It's ordered and should be here early November.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
A slight lope at idle with a strong power curve from 2500 to 6500.
I am using one step down in my all street machine and it has no lope good power from 1000 to 5500. I can take it to 6000 but the power curve is just a bit better if I shift at 5500 and use all that torque to pull me up.
Paul

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cam is in but I haven't had much drive time. My shift points are too high now due to the change in vacuum. I need to play with my modulator a bit. I also need to do some carb tuning. It starts easier with the new cam.

The car is at the metal fab shop now getting some custom work done. I'll have it back in a couple weeks and can do some tuning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts