Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this Forum..I got a 68 289 sitting in my garage and I think its time to finally put some work on it..I was thinking of stroking it but not sure..if so what are the basic things I need to stroke it??any ideas??

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Are you planning to do all the work yourself? In addition to installing the stroker crank, rods and pistons you'll also need to clearance the block. A good Dremel tool will do the job.

For me it was best to just buy the completed short block since I'm not a professional engine builder. I bought mine from Coast High Performance (CHP) and it's been good so far.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm planing to do the work myself and a friend. I'm not a professional either but ill learn as I go. But I was thinkin of also Juss buying a completed block but I actually want to be proud of building it myself.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yeah I'm planing to do the work myself and a friend. I'm not a professional either but ill learn as I go. But I was thinkin of also Juss buying a completed block but I actually want to be proud of building it myself.

That's the way to do it man! Welcome to Ford Muscle man! I thought you were spam at first, glad you're not!

If you simply want power grab a 302 and viollah =] you got power.

But building a 289 yourself will be awesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah a 302 is would be nice but why let this 289 go to waste for..ill Juss tune this up and have some fun with it and if I want something with even more power then ill just swap it to a 302..

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
All other things being fairly equal the 289 is only 13 cubes short of a 302. A 3.25 kit is 29 more than a 302. A 3.4 kit is 45 more cubes than a 302. The stroker's do something that the small cube engines really need the most and that is build more torque. A mildly built up 289 will run as well as a comparable mildly built up 302. There would be no point in investing in a 302 if you are going to go to a stroker in the next jump.

If you plan to jump on it hard the stock transmission is probably not going to hold up. The u-joints may not either. Rear end may also need to be addressed depending how much horsepower you are planning. Fuel system may also need upgrade. Traction will ultimately come into it as well.

Going from past reading it has been recommended to only go up to the 3.25 stroke with the 289 block. The cylinder walls are apparently just a bit shorter than 302 cylinders were. 331 is still plenty of a jump from a 289. This issue may have been addressed now but I don't know.

You need to pick your balance factor and make sure you match the damper and flexplate/flywheel to that. A new damper and SFI flexplate or flywheel would be recommended. You might as well get the whole kit with the damper, flexplate/flywheel and balance included.

Stroker cranks create more windage in the oil so you need to add a scraper and windage tray to the thing. Not sure if they recommend std volume or high volume oil pumps. Something to check.

Stock heads with a lot of porting are not going to get the performance the stroker is capable of. Add a good flowing set of heads to your parts list.

You will also need to enhance your cooling capability with at least a better water pump and aluminum radiator to handle the more heat the engine produces.

Carb, intake, headers exhaust all need to be factored also.

Not so simple an upgrade anymore huh. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
A 289 block can hold any stroker kit that fits in a 302 block-including the 347 kit. Unless the heads are severely upgraded, anything much above a 306 will be a waste of money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow so I really got some work to do!!which means I'm gonna have a blast with this project..thanks soo much guys it really really helped a lot..ill be gettin the 331 for it as well..Ohh and another thing my 68 is an automatic but I'm going to change that to standard..will I be okay if I install a T-5 transmission after I stroke it??I heard the T-5's are really good..

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Wow so I really got some work to do!!which means I'm gonna have a blast with this project..thanks soo much guys it really really helped a lot..ill be gettin the 331 for it as well..Ohh and another thing my 68 is an automatic but I'm going to change that to standard..will I be okay if I install a T-5 transmission after I stroke it??I heard the T-5's are really good..

Use a "world class" version T5 as they are stronger. As long as you don't try to speed shift any stock T5, it will work quite well most of the time. If you speed shift it will typically break in short order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright sounds great..its mostly going to be a cruiser but once in a while ill be racing it here and there..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Think you'd be better off finding a 351 Windsor. You'll have some cubes over a stroked 289 and parts are available to make a monster engine. If you're going to stroke anything, better you stroke a 351.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts