Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was, all ready to get some work done on the Granada to take it to the next level when Number One Son gets his learner's licence. He's finishing school in a few months, and I'm really getting tired of chauffering him around.

Do I do what my dad (and most dads of that generation) would have done, and tell him to walk, ride the bus, a bike, etc.? NOOOO! I get a chance to pick up a cheap little car for him, so I go for it. His cousin was trading in her 1989 Honda Civic, and the dealer offered her $500, so we matched it.

The kicker is that it needs a new automatic transmission although it is otherwise in good shape. That, plus $900 Cdn worth of driving lessons from Young Drivers of Canada, means that Daddy's toys will have to wait at least one year (the only rich cops are the ones on the take!)

For some reason, this spring has seen a lot of local youths getting in fatal car crashes (something like 20 kids in BC over the past six weeks, mostly because of speed and inexperience). Hopefully, in an underpowered Honda with an automatic transmission, with driver training, and the good example set by yours truly, he'll survive through his brainless teen years. Someday he may even get to drive the Granada....like, when he's 30!

He does appreciate everything we do for him....hopefully, when I'm old and senile, he'll remember my sacrifices, and he won't stick me in that home they featured on 60 Minutes.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Eldoon, he'll do fine. Buy the kid the car, make him work for it though. Take him to the impound where all the wrecks are, (and his friends) and show them the cars up close. It just might wake him (them) up. Good luck.

Rick

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Eldoon
A good friend is a member in Surrey. His daughter just got her first car but when he handed her the keys, on the ring was a toe tag. He then had a nice talk with her and her friends about what he and his partners have seen so far this year, as to how the kids have been so messed up by flying glass and such.
I know it is a little drastic but something has to be done. I got lucky, my kids (23,21 and 12) all know that there is a proper place for speed and safety.
Fred

1 - 3 of 3 Posts