Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran into some probs with i6 trans swap and decided, why bother, might as well drop in the V8, gonna do it sonner or later. I have two questions:
1. what can i do for the gas pedal linkage? is there another ford i can get it fron at the junkyard? what about trans kickdown (im going to auto, the 6 cylinder had a stick)
2. I already swapped to a 8" rear, but i cant do the front end V8 swap for a month or so. Will the 6 cylinder suspension last long or am i asking for a disaster?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
You did not say what kind of car that you are working on. I am assuming that it is a 65 Mustang Fastback. For the gas linkage, rob the pieces off of a 65-66 Mustang, I have look at some other cars but there are usually not the same. The kickdown linkage for the auto. trans is off of the gas pedal linkage. So you will have to find a automatic equiped car. New ones I believe are $70, from Scott Drake.

I would at the minumim suggest upgrade to disc brakes and spindles from a Granada or an aftermarket company. This will require an upgrade to V-8 steering components. Then it quickly turns into a case of "Since I am here, I might as well replace this and that." Been there, done that. I would probally wait a month and do it all at once. I have done the I-6 to V-8 swap on my 68 and am still doing the little stuff, so if you have any more questions ask away.

Ben

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is a 65. i do plan on swaping to v8 suspension and discs soon, but cant right away. i gotta get the car back on the road. hmm. hope i can figure something out.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Don't worry about the front suspension right away,as long as everything is in good shape you'll be ok.Did the same swap on my 63Falcon and drove it for a year with the six cylinder front end and brakes.Give yourself a little extra room to stop as you won't have the manual transmission to help you slow down.All the other pieces should be junkyard items but,BOLT YOUR THROTTLE LINKAGE UP BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE V-8. it is extremely difficult to get at once the engine is in.If you look at a v-8 car you'll see were the fuel line is rerouted to come into the engine compartment below your windshield washer bag just above the frame rail.Change this over as the six cylinder line is dangerous coming up along side the v-8s exhaust(especially)with hedders.Prepare to be amazed as I doubt you'll ever miss the 6-banger.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Sorry, I though you meant to drop the V-8 in there and drive around with the six cylinder front supension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts