Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a 289 with attached 2spd. Auto on a trailer.. The engine was rebuilt before it was wrecked. He claims it is out of a 65 Fairlane or Comet.. I never knew for made a 2 spd.. I want to stick this setup into my engine and transmission compartment.. to replace the Oil and water leaking stuff in there now.. 2.9 possicble cracked hd.. washed down with engine oil. A4LOD Trana leaks also.. I want an C4 with the C5 tailshaft so I can use the transfercase.. I need to go back and check out the engine and trans better . I will get some numbers , I don't want to buy the trans if it is a waste of time I will be pulling 35" tires. and possibly 4.88's Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Trans is junk, think is called a C3.. for get it.
Just find a C5. good way to go all around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am wondering if the 221 Ford V-8 is the same block as the 289. I am not looking for Horsepower that much, I just love the Ford V-8 Sound and want to keep my engine small and light, I think I remember that the 302 is supposed to be lighter than the 289 maybe not. I had a Ford book with all the engines from the Flat heads up to the Boss 429's but someone liked it better I guess. it told all the specs.. anybody know of one??

·
Registered
659 Posts
think the 221 is a 260 as is a 289.
just stroke and bore changes.
there was a 255 that was a dog.
the 302 is thin wall casting and is lighter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was trying to remember. I knew the 289 was a lot lighter than the old 292 or 312, I allready have a 302 Block, So I guess that would be the way to go really. When I tore it down someone had a .060 Crankshaft kit in it and it had spun a rod bearing, wonder why....010 good crankshaft kit. Ok that is the way I will go. I just thought I could get the engine and trans at the same time together,, So the Transmission I would want, would be a C-4 Vacuum operated with my , No computer Engine..

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The 2 spd is a ford-o-matic and is junk.
A C4 will work and a C5 with a C4 bell housing, valve body and converter is best if you are going to have lots of power in front of it.
The C4 is fine for a slightly modified engine - up to 300 HP. If you are going to have more than that the C4 will have to have the cooling / rear lube circuit opened up, drilled to provide positive lube to the #9 thrust washer. Both will need a good shift kit, TransGo -2 kit is good for the street. Plan on a transmission cooler with a towing rating of at least 12000 pounds and if you are going over 350 HP use one with a capacity of 24000 or more. It never hurts to add an inline transmission filter (they are made to fit into the return cooler line - that goes to the rear fitting on the tranny). Make sure to use the high capacity clutch drums and put 5 in the forward and 5 in the direct pack. The front servo should be a "C", "H", "A" if they are not going to be modified and if you are going to modify the front servo for equal apply/release use "K", "R", "W" or "Z" servos. (look at the "Monster C4 thread Text - Edited Version 2" at the top of the C4 Transmissions page.)
Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Thanks Guys. I just got a donor 88 T-Bird 302 EFI with all the goodies. So, I will install that with the FI system... wish me luck... The car set for a long time, but, the engine runs great , No smoke.. This should make a sweet Ride in a Bronco II

1 - 7 of 7 Posts