Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have a 302 clevo with 4bbrl intake manifold and there is a "3" cast in the corner of bottom edge. They are cast heads and I dont want to pull the heads off to check for certain. is there another way to check if they are 2v or 4v? I do live in Australia and I read that Australian and Boss heads were not stamped in the top corner? Its not a boss, 2 bolt mains, standard 2v/4v damper. I was always told a 2 or 4 is stamped in the corner, this has a "3". HELP????

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks, but they are cast heads not alloy. Unless they are 3v cast?
I wondered about that.. I believe the 3v heads are Aussie only, but have never dealt with any Australian stuff before. Is there any kind of ford no's cast into head? If not its an aftermarket cast iron head....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldt check casting numbers without taking them off but there were numbers between the valve stems "4F4" on one and "3K4" on the other. Apart from that there is "3" cast on the lower corner and a "4" cast in the valley on the rear end. I just dont know. I would like to know what she is without taking it all apart. Is there a way to find out what kind of cam is in it? These numbers were on the cam "1208" and "23"

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Probably not (cam question) doesnt appear to be a "grind no" so think you are stuck with out someone doing the measuring/checking on it. If it runs well I wouldnt worry much about it. Back to the heads I am guessing they are someones "cheap" alternative to alloy heads. Maybe once folks on this side awake again you can get some better answers. (ie: its 03:42 CST here right now)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
thanks. I did find a website that sells 3v cast heads so perhaps they are.

Well I would bet that they are an aftermarket head, as I dont think FOMOCO ever did a 3V marked head, (but I dunno, aussie-land gets cool stuff thats N/A here in the good ole USofA) ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha yeh, I hear our aussie 302 quench heads are sought after over there. All the best stuff comes out of the USA, cars, trucks, horses.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
If it's a 4V head, then it'll have a 4 in the upper corners.
2V will either have a 2 in the corners or left blank.
No such thing as a cast Ford 3V head, so I'm guessing it's just some sort of casting ID, but will need to check.
302 Cleveland heads are unique to the 302, and are cast in Australia.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Without a doubt, this is your best bit of information.
It's long but very informative.
Engines

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
CHI did have a cast iron head BTW all heads are cast . (note there are billet heads) be iron or aluminum

what intake manifold ? any name or numbers on it ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a pic, as you can see the "3" is stamped on the bottom edge, this is on both heads. Here are some numbers from the intake manifold 14m6 or 14w6 wasnt real clear. 76DA-9425_CB which i understand to be 1976 full size car intake manifold revision number? also this 13726548, firing order? hope this helps in any way. I know that no 3v cast heads were ever produced originally however i did find a website when I was researching which were selling cast iron 3v heads, they say to try keep the original feel and look. Obviously aftermarket. I will try find it again. Thanks so much for your help guys

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
That intake manifold is a spreadbore intake to suit 2V heads.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
I just Googled the number. 76DA-9425 CB (without that last dash before the CB)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts