Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not the big red ones - i fixed those. but i cant get at the small clear glass lenses that i need to pop out to swap the 1157 bulbs as i have no signals and no running lights.

i know its dumb but i dont want to break anything lol!

ps - finally drove the 64. oh man that was FUN!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Take a look at the backside of the housing. The socket may come out from the back of the housing, from inside the trunk, like it does on my car. The clear lens on the back is usually for the back-up lights, not turn signal, running, or brake lights.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
If this is a '64 you are talking about and the front park lights you remove the 2 screws to remove the lense cover then push and turn the bulb counter clockwise i think. It's kind of a pain as can't really get your fingers in there good. I didn't have much trouble removing them but putting a new one in was. The rubber cover over the wires in back of the housing are real flexible on mine so i pulled on them to retract the spring loaded base inside the socket and my son put the bulb in. Don't know why it's such a booger. It's clean and all that and even pushes down with the bulb but just can't turn the bulb to lock it in.

If you are talking the small glass in the center of the tail light that is only your backup light, it does nothing else.

This is for '64 though, you didn't state the year of car. :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I use a piece of heater hose to push on the bulbs and turn them. I've seen the glass break on bulbs before and it aint "pertty" what it does to fingers. Also on a 64 you have to remove the tail light lens to change the tail/stop light bulb.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
I use a piece of heater hose to push on the bulbs and turn them. I've seen the glass break on bulbs before and it aint "pertty" what it does to fingers. Also on a 64 you have to remove the tail light lens to change the tail/stop light bulb.
I'll have to try that next time but don't know if it would of worked or not as they refused to turn even pushed in but maybe they weren't pushed in quite all the way. Next time i'll try that trick!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts