Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would they be? Anybody else have a tool with actual sentimental value, almost like a pet?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
we talking strictly hand tools or something? because if not and we're talking auto, i'd have to say ALLDATAA OR MITCHELL, would have to be the top tool i'd have. no auto technician is nothing when he works on a car he never worked on before is trying to find something or to find a certain procedure.

to me thats one of my 5 tools.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Well as far as sentimental value, I have a flat blade screw driver of my Grandpa's. One day he was using it and told me how proud he was that people didn't pound on the top of it with a hammer, using it as chisel. He told me when he died, he wanted me to have it. It was his Grandpas. So, it is really old and cool looking.

I did spill beer once in my toolbox and it soaked a few days, but it did no harm actually. haha.

Besides that one screw driver, I inherited a lot of his tools, mics, and all that good stuff. But the screw driver is very important to me.

Chris

·
Registered
310 Posts
I work on docks over the water (I build boat lifts), so I tend to keep the fish well stocked with tools. I buy most all my tools at pawn shops & harbor freight. A little while ago I retired a cool 5lb sledge that someone welded a solid steel handle to. I'd been dreading dropping it, but it stayed around & served me well for years so now it's relaxing in the garage. Nope, I don't use it on cars.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've got an old pair of Vice Grips that were my Grandpa's, and I still use them. They are my sentimental favorite, plus you can do just about anything with them.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
I only have one tool that has any sentimental value and it is only good for small nails and things like that. It's like a mini ball peen hammer but has a long handle. My grandma called it Dean's little hammer. She passed away in '73 and don't know if my parents know the origin of that name or not. I keep thinking either someone named Dean gave it to her at some time.
As far as what tools I would have if only 5 I would say, vice grips, adjustable/crescent wrench, hammer and one of each screwdriver.

Deb

·
Registered
679 Posts
Where to start....
It seems that just about everytime I buy a new tool I think "How did I get along without it?". If I have to whittle it down to the 5 most indispensable items I guess it would be:
1. Cutting torch
2. Welder
3. Tractor (Pulls engines and dead vehicles)
4. Floor jack and jackstands (Can't use one without the other)
5. Die grinder
6. Assorted handtools
I couldn't stop at 5.
Everything in my shop was bought because it served some usefull purpose. The cutting torch was my first major tool purchase as a teenager, I still have the receipt. I used it to cut everything until I bought a bandsaw. Now with the horizontal bandsaw and the Milwaukee portable bandsaw the cutting torch doesn't see alot of use. I don't know how I could get along without my 684 International tractor. I have a 2 post car lift in the garage now, but before that I relied on floor jacks. The die grinder is the unsung hero here. It is probably the most versatile tool in the shop, from porting heads to use as a cutoff tool it is truly indispensable. And last but not least, you can't wrench on anything without wrenches.
Kywookie

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I'll "cheat" a little - drill press, screwdriver set, socket set, pouch of wrenches and a hammer. If I'm living out of the car or something, I'll trade the drill press for a set of pilers. With some duct tape and some bailing wire cut off a fence with the pilers you can just about fix anything.

If you mean 5 individual tools: Medium size ball peen hammer, Leatherman tool, 4 way screwdriver, 12" Cresent wrench and a medium size pair of pliers. You gotta have a hammer - if you can't fix it with the other stuff, you can always beat to the point where NO ONE can fix the [email protected]#$#@ thing.

Sentimental? I have a bunch. I have a pair of red handled needle nose pliers that belonged to my dad - it was in the small garage tool box. He was an electronics guy (IBM), so most of his stuff whas small, except for some sockets and wrenches for working on the mower. Most got stolen after he died. I still have a couple of the old wrenches. Funny - dad's hobby was electronics and his tool box was about 18" tall. I'm into cars and my rollaway with the track tool box sitting on top is about 7 1/2' tall.

I cleaned out an old tool box that belonged to my grandad and found what looks like an old, rusted Model A wrench with the FORD script still on it. It's in the box with the Craftsman's.

When I was almost 13 and my mom and dad were both gone, my Grandmother asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I picked a 1/2" and 3/8" Craftsman socket set from the Sears catalog with a 1/2" S&K wrench and 3/8 Craftsman wrench. The 3/8 socket wrench has been long replaced, but the rest is still my primary set. Those sockets are in my hands doing something for me at least once every week. I hope that my grandma -rest her soul- knows it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Jeez...that's a hard question to answer, just about all the tools my Dad left behind when he passed away a year and a half ago have a sentimental value. He always had to call on a lot of them to bail my junkyard refugees I call cars out of trouble
. But to choose, definately a good adjustable wrench has been the most useful, and the 5lb sledge usually took care of all the other problems

·
Registered
166 Posts
5 tools...
you gotta have a hammer. a pry bar is nice and a breaker bar. so thats all covered by my favorite tool a 3 foot pipe. if all else fails you could always beat someone with it till they give you there tools?

so lets see:
1 pipe
2 vice-grips
3 socket set, or at leaste a quality cresent wench if i cant have the set
4 hack saw
5 flathead screwdriver. if all else fails, you could use the hacksaw to make anything a flathead screw.

as far as sentmental tools, i don't really have any right now. as far as i know every tool i use i bought in the last few years. my dad had a lot of tools, but most of them were cheeply made and tended to break when used on cars so i had to replace many for him. my grandfather was a machinist, and has many quality tools, but he still has them all in his basement.

George E. Leggett

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ghettostang on 11/7/03 8:01pm ]</font>

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
On 2003-11-06 12:03, ckelly wrote:
If you mean 5 individual tools: Medium size ball peen hammer, Leatherman tool, 4 way screwdriver, 12" Cresent wrench and a medium size pair of pliers. You gotta have a hammer - if you can't fix it with the other stuff, you can always beat to the point where NO ONE can fix the [email protected]#$#@ thing.
Acckkk! Forgot all about a Leatherman or Gerber! I keep a Gerber in my purse. You just never know when you might need one!

Deb

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The answers seem to run along two lines: practical & sentimental.

Practical - WD40 (for things that stick), duct tape (for things that don't), multi-tip screw driver, hammer, and one of the following: cresent wrench, vice grips, or channel locks.

Sentimental - When I got married, the men in my family threw a "tool shower" for me (we're a conservative Christian family and this was in place of a bachelor party). All of the stuff I got that day (24+ years ago) has sentinmental value for me. The Craftsman drill my brothers gave me is dying and I hate to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
On 2003-11-07 17:59, ckelly wrote:
Wrap the respective fuse with a Wrigly's gum wrapper and watch for the smoke.
Or if you're a smoker, the foil out of the inside of the pack of smokes. Also works well to fix the 'track switcher' foil on an 8 track tape when you have no foil around the house.

Deb

·
Registered
231 Posts
little 5 pound sledge, sawsall, air hammer, Gerber tool, and my set of Grandpa's Craftsman power tools.

If its woods Grandpa's tools still work fine even though they well older than me.
If its broke and the Gerber tools can't fix it then the other three will certainly take good care of it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts