Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the ignition key cylinder on my '63. I have always had to wiggle the key just the right way to get it to turn to the ON position, and I have never once been able to turn it to the left to the AAC position.

So I finally decided to get a replacement cylinder and keys. The problem is, you have to turn the key to the AAC position to get the pinhole to line up for removal and no matter how hard I try it just will not turn. I've tried lubricating it with both lock lubricant and WD-40, wiggling it every which way and still no success.

I cant take the switch off from the other side because the bezel holds it to the dash, and the cylinder holds the bezel in. :bicker: Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Either FORCE it to go backwards or Drill it out.... Carefully.

Take pliers to the key and wiggle and push and pull while turning backwards. If it works and you break the key , no big deal, if it don't then no big deal as you're drilling it out anyway...

Unless that key opens the doors... I forgot about that...

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Maybe pull downward on the end you hold onto and turn? My trunk lock is like that, the 'teeth' on the key are worn so they don't stick up enough unless i do it that way most of the time.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There will be key code on the cylinder (FA xxxx) that will enable a locksmith to re-key a new cylinder (and possibly switch if you have to get physical) and key to match the door(s).

You might try dry graphite or something like WD-40 to try and work the key and cylinder until it turns. Even other car keys of the period.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I forgot to report back. I had 3 new keys made by a locksmith. After about 20 minutes of finagling on the 3rd key, I got it to turn to AAC. Replaced the lock cylinder and switch. All is good. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts