Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine is having problems. Needs to change out the distributor from points to electronic. It's a 302 (roller) from a 96 Crown Vic. This engine has all the fuel injectors removed, intake has been changed for carb. Is now in a 55 Crown Vic Fairlane.

The distributor has to be changed to electronic because of oiling issues with the old distributor. The electronic distributors are made for this engine. So. Here we have the electronic ignition module, with a motorcraft distributor for this engine.

Installing in a 1955 Crown Vic Fairlane. Need to fabricate wiring harness, and install.

My question: Does anyone know if the diagram below is correct?. If so, We will start on this friday... Thanks for your input.

The distributor color codes on the wire....
Black
Black with Orange (or maybe red) tracer.
Black with a Purple tracer.

Hopefully the picture will display correctly.

TestPrinting.jpg

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
DURASPARK II Conversion Attached-

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I think he is describing removing the EEC and TFI. The TFI distributor drive is a little different as to the DURASPARK. He would have to revert regardless.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What the Frankenstein?

OK, if the engine has oiling issues to the Dist, then you gotta FIX the oiling issues or the OTHER Dist is going to have oiling issues as well.

Wouldn't you think?
The OLD distributor is from a non roller and was used in the roller WITH the hardened gear. The hardened gear was removed from the 86 distributor and pressed on to the old distributor, therefore, dosen't have the oiling capabilities as the one thats supposed be in the engine, that is a electronic distributor. The electronic distributor is the right one. The differance is electronic instead of points. and is the right one for the engine, therefore the oiling is correct. It wasen't in the old distributor. Wasent made for the roller type.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
OK, it's just confusion about 'oiling and gears', and also about 'electronic'. Note there is no oiling issue - only a gear material issue. The '86 Vic TFI distributor used a steel gear for the steel roller cam. A flat-tappet cam would use an iron gear. It sounds like you took the steel gear from the '86 and put it on a flat-tappet DuraSpark distributor you have. Cool. That's all there is to it. The other part of the confusion is that the DuraSpark II and the TFI are both electronic...

David

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, it's just confusion about 'oiling and gears', and also about 'electronic'. Note there is no oiling issue - only a gear material issue. The '86 Vic TFI distributor used a steel gear for the steel roller cam. A flat-tappet cam would use an iron gear. It sounds like you took the steel gear from the '86 and put it on a flat-tappet DuraSpark distributor you have. Cool. That's all there is to it. The other part of the confusion is that the DuraSpark II and the TFI are both electronic...

David
Then the print for hook up I have is correct for this purpose?.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We connected the module with Radio Shack text clips wires. Set the distributor to cylinder 1. Double checked out test wiring.

Cranked the engine. After the gas was in the bowl, she started up and ran good....

We then broke for Lunch (Important at our age).. Then we mounted the module, wired it in permanent, with proper fuseing. Started the car. Ran just as good.

Now it's rap the wires and remove the spark plugs and change the gap for electronic ignition.

he said the engine sounds better, and runs better than when the points distributor was in... So, everyone it is confirmed: The wiring print I have is correrct for this 302 converted engine from fuel injection to carb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts