Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. '70 Mustang fastback. 351W with pertronix II ignition and Flame Thrower coil. 1.5 ohms no ballast resistor. Drives great for about a half hour and then just shuts down. Like the spark immediately fails. Pop the hood, bang on the coil a few times with my knuckles, fires back up after about ten minutes. Is the coil overheating or what? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Sounds like it. First verify you actually have spark or not after it quits. If no spark, to verify it's not the module overheating, take an ohm meter with you and test the coil right after it quits. If it's the coil, it will test bad using standard test procedures in your manual, then test good after cooling. If the coil tests good but no spark, then likely it's the module overheating - which is rare - or a bad module ground. Test for coil voltage and module voltage with key on to verify good power feed to both. Crank the engine to look for fluctuating voltage at the coil (+) indicating a working module. Good luck!

David

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check to make sure the ignitor is bolted in tight and adjusted correctly. Also make sure the points hold down plate isnt loose in the distributor.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I use the pertronix ignitor II and it requires a coil with low 0.6 ohms. I ended up usin their flame thrower II epoxy coil. This was also recommended by 65FalconLover- as it was his original setup before he moved up to the Ignitor III. Hope it helps you. :)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I use the pertronix ignitor II and it requires a coil with low 0.6 ohms. I ended up usin their flame thrower II epoxy coil. :)
This is the same setup I'm running in the boat with 2 454's and it's working flawlessly. Pertronix told me the epoxy coil is the best choice in high vibration (like a boat) or high heat applications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts