Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight we hooked up a new fuel line and coil. We got it all wired and hooked up, and tried to start it. It would not start at first...It would try to start and when I let off the starter, it would instantaly die. I finally got it started by pressing in the throttle all the way. When I started letting up to get it to idle, it died. Tried it again,,,Same problem.
I don't get it. The coil is an MSD Blaster SS. Fuel line goes from 1/4 at the pump to 3/8 at the carb. The coil is monted sideways, but I don't think that matters. All of the wires are hooded up correctly.
Does anyone have any ideas on what our problem could be? Does the Blaster SS work with the 351C?
Thanks for ANY help
Matt

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
(Sounds like the engine might be flooding.Maybe when you changed the fuel line you may have got some dirt in the needle and seat of your carb.Holleys are very tempermentle when it comes to dirt.After you've had the engine running and it dies look down the carb immediately and see if there is any gas dribbling out or a lot of vapours coming back up.I had to run an inline filter with my holley even though I drove the car for 3 years without a filter with the stock ford carb,as soon as I put on the Holley I started to have problems with the float sticking.Put on filter no more probs.(sorry I got rambling I don,t even know if your running a Holley but I thought it was worth mentioning)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/15/02 10:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carb is brand new. it is a holley Street avenger. We got one of thoes adustiable chrome dual feed lines with pressure guage. When it is not running, pressure is at 5 PSI. The brief time it ran it was at around 9. What should it be? Yes, some vapors did come out of it and it had a flame backfire on one failed start. It has 2 fuel filters...One that is in the chrome thingy at the carb, below the guage, and another in the line, to adapt 1/4 to 3/8.
Thanks for the idea
Matt

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
9lbs is too much pressure. I think you should be running about 6or 7lbs max.You might have to get a regulator and adjust your pressure.Too much pressure would also cause the flooding problems

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Ahh, igniton issues are my friend lately
so I'll try to help. Pull a plug, ground it, and have somebody crank the car. Verify if there's spark. If so, move onto the fuel issue. The stator assembly in my car went dead during a cam swap and it took me forever to diagnose it. I'm ignorant though. I'd check for spark first. Then go to fuel. Look down the carb and see if the acc. pump is working. If so, check the float level. It could be way low and not letting enough fuel in on the idle circuit. Your carb is similar to Holley yes? If so, these tips might help a bit. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts