Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i wired the galaxie over the last few weekends with a EZ wiring kit, i checked everything today and most of its working, however i am having trouble with wiring the ignition switch - the kit is all GM color coded, but it looks easy enough, but no matter which way i wire it, it aint working right.

This is what i have :

6 wires

IGN Sw power
IGN Sw start
IGN SW ACC
IGN SW coil
IGN SW IGN
the 6th wire comes off the RED IGN Sw start wire, i guess its a ground because its black

The diagram says the IGN SW coil and IGN SW IGN go to the same post

The problem i am having is i dont know which posts these wires are supposed to go on, i thought it looked pretty obvious, but it isn't doing it right ? when i had it all on the starter solenoid was trying to crank in the "on" position

Which one is the battery post ? - the top one ?

Pics :

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lgh1157 on 10/29/06 11:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lgh1157 on 10/29/06 2:44pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
From the diagram it looks like the top connection would be the power in. About the black wire being ground, I wouldn't think there would be a ground on that switch. Later cars had 2 connectios for ground that was used for bulb check during cranking, I don't think that's your case. If the engine is trying to crank all the time somewhere you have power going to the starter solenoid crank terminal all the time.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The big situation here is that your included diagram and that from the Ford manuals don't see eye to eye. There is some possibility that the folks who made up the switch altered some internal connections, and thus the original routing of the plug-ins do not work now. I know of a couple of the standard wire colors and routes. Usually the narrowed end is aimed down, but in your situation it is shown upwards.

The IGN SW IGN ought to connect in to the brown wire going over to the solenoid. It may begin at teh switch with a Red & green wire. There is usually a connection at the solenoid labeled I or IGN.

The IGN Start ought to connect in to the neutral safety switch or go direct over to the soleniod as a Red w/ blue wire. It may begin at the switch as a solid red wire. There is usually a connection at the solenoid labeled ST.

The Ign Coil ought to go to the ballast resistor or the pink wire going to the coil. This would measure 12V initially, then at end of pink wire drop to about 9-10 volts.

The IGN. ACC ought to go to the fuse box usually as a yellow wire.

The big terminal with a lug ought to be larger diameter blank with green stripe wire, and go over to the main connection at the fuse box. Not, a START connection as per your drawing. (Which again leads me to wonder if your switch, or teh diagram isn't intened for yet another auto)

The combo of the IGN SW coil and IGN SW IGN is suspicious, but they may be intending the connection to go over to the solenoid. Usually when the solenoid clicks closed, the coil gets a boost of straight 12 volts to start up. In some G.M. autos, the coil gets two wires on one terminal, one regulated and the other raw 12 volts. This may be their intent. Odd way of doing such. But to be sure, use a continuity tester to verify the routing of the wires.

Wm.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I'm in agreement with Coosbay

Just by looking at the original wiring diagram. I can see that the accessory is fed off the CENTER pin -original Black/green-. The cranking wire is at the 7 o clock position -original red/blue- via the Neutral Switch to the Starter Relay and Ignition is at the 5 o'clock position -original Red/Green to Pink resistance wire then back to Red/Green- to the coil.
Top is Power in Yellow wire via Black Yellow from the Regulator.

So it appears that diagram has the crank and Accessory wire switched which would explain the constant crank when the switch was turned on.
The 5 and 7 oclock position might be swapped too but the original wire diagram and your diagram don't give any indication of the "relative" viewing position of the plug to the switch which would reverse if you were viewing them from behind as opposed to forward.

The best way to test which is the crank post is to apply power to the top post and use a test light to see which post has power in cranking position only.

I hope this isn't too confusing??? I wanted to study it this morning but I had no time.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The way the ignition switch is pictured, top is battery, right is Ign, left is starter, center post with nut is Acc. No ground wire on it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I used the same wiring harness on my failane and my comet, they have the ACC and Start in the wrong positions on the diagram, you just need to switch the two. The yellow wire is to the fuse box battery, the red/blue wire is to the starter solenoid, Black/orange wire to coil (run). no ground.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the help guys, everything seems to be ok, got the switch worked out and the engine bay all clean up and strapped down, this week im going to finish up the dash and i'll back in business

L

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lgh1157 on 10/30/06 10:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-10-29 19:49, lgh1157 wrote:
thanks for all the help guys, everything seems to be ok, got the switch worked out and the engine bay all clean up and strapped down, this week im going to finish up the dash and i'll back in business

L

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lgh1157 on 10/30/06 10:52am ]</font>
CHA-Ching!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys, its all working the only thing is, when the blinkers are on all the lights "flicker" a little ?

why is this ?

L

1 - 14 of 14 Posts