Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got a question when i bought my galaxie i didn't get keys with it and someone had removed the ignition switch from it. I purchased my new ignition switch and have it at the house and I am still waiting on my door lock and ignition switch lock set to arrive so I can install it all. My question is on the switch assembly in a 1962 what wire goes where cause my new switch doesn't have any markets for wiring location on it anywhere what so ever. Does anyone know where I can find a pick of the wiring or a diagram cause I have tried to look it up on google with no success.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I could be wrong, Its been awhile since i had one apart, But I think that your harness will only plug on to the switch oneway.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You are correct. The plug is molded and only fits one way. If you have a wire that is separate with an eyelet it goes on the stud. It should be black with a green stripe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there in lies my problem the harness connector is non existant in the car and the wiring under the dash looks like someone installed a universal switch in it and took it out so all my wiring has ring terminals on it and I was going to put spade terminal on it to wire it up unless I can find a new switch harness somewhere.

·
Registered
841 Posts
How to steal a classic car in a few simple steps.

5 posts? And asking about ignition switch replacement? Hmmm.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No offense taken by that post but if I wanted to steal her ill just go out in my driveway and do it and I know enough about old fords to not need the ignition swith to do that. I rescued the old girl from a junkyard before she got stripped. They messed up the wiring and sold the ignition out of it and didn't have any keys to start it and move it the had the coil hot wired and she is mostly original and intact and I believe she diserves to have her dignity back and be strutting her stuff on the highway turning heads. She is a 1962 galaxie 500 4 door that came factory with a 352 now I believe a 390 with a cruise o matic still with the original interior in good shape and the original factory two tone showing through a candy paint job someone gave her she may not be pretty but I'm 24 and she is mine. So maybe next time you make that kind of comment you shouldn't pass judgement and just offer your help. I sold my baby that was a 68 mustang with factory air and some other good options equipped.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
How to steal a classic car in a few simple steps.

5 posts? And asking about ignition switch replacement? Hmmm.......

Piece of wire and a screw driver and a 62 Galaxie is yours.....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I actually had to do that one night in my 62. I lost the keys and had to get home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah a little if i can just find the colors of the wires and a way to enlarge the picture i'll have more to go off

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
This might come in handy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back to CaptVirgil's photo of the wiring on the ignition switch, the pink wire ( which is the Resistance Wire ) feeds to one of the firewall harnesses,then on the engine side of the firewall one wire leads to the starter solenoid and another leads to the coil.
On my 64' the pink wire heats up when the key is on but not to a point that it melts the insulation. The two wires on the engine side of the firewall are fine.
Domino's wiring diagram shows the suspect pink wire.
Can anyone clear this up for me????

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
it is a resistance wire for the coil. it gets hot because ti is dropping the voltage to the coil. same as a ballast resister on other cars. btw- that is a starter relay, not a solinoid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts