Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im close to firing up my 62 galaxie. When I turn the ignition key (new switch) I get nothing. If I jump the relay the starter will run, and the engine will crank but as soon as I remove the tool im jumping the relay with, The car shuts off (even with the key in the "on" position)

My ignition switch was hacked up so I was able to download a diagram online, but there is no close up to the ignition switch wiring. I have it wired up this way:

Is this the correct way? All fuses look good, and i dont know what else to look into. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I can't see your wire colors or where they go well enough to tell you.
However, it's pretty easy to check, and you just need to track and/or test the wires to verify they are the right ones per the wiring diagram. A $10 volt and continuity checker, known as a multimeter or VOM, will be your best friend right now. I would use the tester on the switch, to verify which wire does what. For example:

1. Key OFF - power from regulator "B" terminal into switch on YELLOW wire. Is battery voltage there? If yes, then disconnect the battery for the next two tests, and check switch continuity from the YEL wire to the others below.
  2. Key ON - power out on two BLK/GRN (fusebox and gauges), one BLK (trans OD relay), and one RED/GRN-to-PNK (coil) wires.
  3. Key in START - power also out on RED/BLU to starter relay ("solenoid").
This testing should take about 3 minutes (5 to 10 if it's the first time you've done it ;)) to confirm the switch and wires are good. Hope that helps.

David

1962 Galaxie ignition switch:

·
Registered
200 Posts
However, it's pretty easy to check, and you just need to track and/or test the wires to verify they are the right ones per the wiring diagram. A $10 volt and continuity checker, known as a multimeter or VOM, will be your best friend right now. I would use the tester on the switch, to verify which wire does what. For example:

1. Key OFF - power from regulator "B" terminal into switch on YELLOW wire. Is battery voltage there? If yes, then disconnect the battery for the next two tests, and check switch continuity from the YEL wire to the others below.
  2. Key ON - power out on two BLK/GRN (fusebox and gauges), one BLK (trans OD relay), and one RED/GRN-to-PNK (coil) wires.
This testing should take about 3 minutes (5 to 10 if it's the first time you've done it ;)) to confirm the switch and wires are good. Hope that helps.

David

Important to know:

When you turn the key to "start" there is no power from the switch to the ignition coil. There is a wire from the solenoid that takes over until you let go of the key.

Mel

·
Registered
200 Posts
You didn't say if the instruments respond. Do you get Oil and Gen lights in the "On"
or "ACC" position? If not, it is safe to say that the yellow wire isn't delivering (hot).
If good, here is how I would proceed with a test light using David's diagram:

1: Remove the 2 wires on the start solenoid to be safe. Remember where they went.
2: "On"> Check for power on the terminal in David's diagram (C). If "yes" then check the + side of the coil.
3: Engage "Start", check terminal (S).
4: Enlist a helper to engage "Start". Check the (in my case) brown wire at the solenoid.
4a: While your at it you might as well do this: Connect the (in my case) red/blue solenoid wire to the battery and check the coil again.

Hope this helps.

Mel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input guys. As far as I can tell, I have power from the engine bay wiring harness, but none after plugging it into the dash harness, so either the contacts arent working or there is a broken cable. Thanks guys! I appreciate the diagram for the ignition switch

Just a question, in that diagram is (a) the post in the back of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Important to know:

When you turn the key to "start" there is no power from the switch to the ignition coil. There is a wire from the solenoid that takes over until you let go of the key.

Mel
That is good to know, and must be specific to the '62, as most classic Ford ignition switches have both the coil feed and solenoid feeds active at the same time. This would be important for readers working on other years or models. :tup:

I also agree on the testing method, but I have folks unfamiliar with electrics disconnect the battery to reduce sparks and fried meters.
;)
David

·
Registered
1 Posts

David

I’ve got a question similar.
I’m swapping a 95 mustang 5.0 and harness in to my 62 galaxie
The 95 has a different type of switch so I need to figure out how to put the wires off the 95 mustang switch on to the 62 galaxie switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts