Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at Mallory, MSD etc, there's a Ford HEI w/ coil in cap & adjustable vaccum advance, anybody have experience with this setup & does it eliminate the traditional coil from the loop? Does it require an updated ignition control box? I'm aiming for improving performance of the motor w/o spending too much on shiny aftermarket stuff and keep it looking as close to stock as possible. Gonna do a rebuild, this is my first whole car not just an engine, so I'll have tons of questions.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Welcome to the forums, "Ima". What ignition system to use for performance depends on the performance you are looking for, and therefore how the engine is built (if not stock) and how you will use it. Fill us in and we can go from there with specific recommendations.

David

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
To keep it looking stock, as you say, the Pertonix units would be the ticket. These things fit under your current cap, replacing the points and condenser, and use a traditional coil. The latest model, the Ignitor III, says it has ignition box features, like and MSD, all under the cap. I run the Ignitor II and am very happy with it. You'll want a higher output coil with the II and III to maximize the benefits. There are other points replacement systems available, so if you distributor is good they are good options to keep the stock appearance. A Ford Duraspark distributor is another good option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I love the internet. 65 sedan XL hardtop w/ 352 & Cruiseomatic 3spd. She's all there, just needs love. Take delivery Saturday. The factory Prairie Bronze is still under the later brown. The Tbird interior is all there too, just needs reupholstery carpet & trim. Mac's is gonna love me. She's going back to factory colors & period correct 15 x 8's. Also got 3 of 4 original steel wheel covers. Motor goes on stand, trim off, painted, & new rubber & chrome plated plastic. Maybe do a performance top end & disc brakes; looking for Ford 65-? disc brakes.
While we're here; Ford discs off another Galaxie, vs. aftermarket package? I'd like the power boost. Ultimately, vision for this ride is super close to factory, with room for what a person might do with it in 70's rodder options (, maybe even power discs front & back so you can drive the **** out of it with confidence. But all original parts go in boxes so if some buyer wants to go 100% factory they can.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Ultimately, vision for this ride is super close to factory, with room for what a person might do with it in 70's rodder options ... But all original parts go in boxes so if some buyer wants to go 100% factory they can.
OK, then I'll echo what has already been suggested. the PerTronix modules range from stock points equivalent performance (P-I) to HEI equivalent (P-II) and up to cutting-edge multi-spark capability with rev control (P-III). For this, any would run, but the P-II would be an improvement for performance and mileage, while the P-III would hlep with a glassy-smooth idle if that's important, or cleaner numbers if you have local emissions testing.

David

PS: Be sure to use the correct ignition coil and power wiring for each type. The P-I does not hook to the coil for power, while the P-II and III do not use the stock ignition resistor wire (pink wire under your dash).

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
No harm in keeping the stock parts but with a 4-door, I would not worry too much about the next owner's happiness. They are not usually picky about anything except price!

In 65 I think 15x7 wheels were stock, might be worth checking out.

Welcome, and good luck.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
Looked at Mallory, MSD etc, there's a Ford HEI w/ coil in cap & adjustable vaccum advance, anybody have experience with this setup & does it eliminate the traditional coil from the loop?
yes, the coil is in the cap. no traditional coil.

Does it require an updated ignition control box?
No ignition control box. The ignition module is in the cap too- that's why it so huge.

If you're willing to get crafty, there are some very low-dollar options. You can get HEI performance without paying aftermarket prices. MSD is another story...I am unaware of any "junkyard upgrades" that will provide that level of performance.

Coil-in-cap is the simplest (one wire), and probably also the most expensive. And it does not look stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts