Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 66 galaxie that I'm converting the ignition from points to electronic (procomp dizzy and high output coil). I need to locate the resistor wire so I can get 12 volts to the coil instead of the stock 7 volts. Any help and pictures would be great.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The actual resistor wire should be in the harness leading from the switch and running through the firewall in the main harness.

What you need to do (IMO) is have that circuit trip a relay (new) and supply the BAT VOLT directly to the ignition setup you are using instead of having full BAT VOLT come to the IGN SW. The resistor would have no effect once by-passed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so I found it. And just in case anyone else is doing this...from the ignition switch there is a red with yellow stripe wire, follow that for about 10" and there is a "butt connector" green in color. That's where the resistor wire starts and continues all the way to the firewall connection behind the fuse box. The lower left hand wire(may appear white but if you cut back the elect tape, it's actually pink) is the one you are after. You don't want to splice into the wire, you will have to remove and replace the female connector inside the firewall rubber plug. Voila! 12 volts! Hope this helps someone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts