Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi again all.. i got my first quote from a shipper based on a car i fancy on ebay.. my quote from pick up, to drop off at my door MOT`d sva`d registered valeted and ready to go was £2600 or thereabouts based on a car value of $7000

obviously it would be cheaper if i did everything myself.. but it seems easy to do it this way and there are a few places offering similar services: door to door tested and ready to go..

just wondered if anyone else here has done this and what their experiences are, or if people have done all the legwork themselves and how they found it.

cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
what is -mot and sva testing --never heard of it --???

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MOT is the uk road worthiness/safety test .. i dunno what the U.S version is... and SVA is changing bits and pieces on foreign cars to make them legal on uk roads.. lights and things.

ta,

Mark

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
your not buying a classic car and letting some shipper-some one you never met work on it are you --

·
Registered
825 Posts
it must be like a brake and light inspection so you can get it registered. this has to be done by a certified mechanic and the results sent to the dmv. I had to have this done to my 2000 explorer after some idiot rear ended me. just a guess though.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
MOT is the uk road worthiness/safety test .. i dunno what the U.S version is... and SVA is changing bits and pieces on foreign cars to make them legal on uk roads.. lights and things.

ta,

Mark
AFAIK, no shippers here do that. There is no "US road worthiness test". Every state has it's own inspection rules - and remember we got 50 of 'em. Sometimes they acknowledge each other, sometimes not. If a US citizen imports a car, it's up to the buyer to get it EPA certified. There are custom car dealers that do that, but that's about it. Those same dealers may do export items.

Texas example - if you move here, Tx recognizes only certain state stickers. Otherwise, you got 3 days.
I have a valid inspection sticker from another state. Do I need to get my vehicle re-inspected once I cross over state lines?
Texas-registered vehicles with out-of-state inspection certificates. Texas-registered vehicles may operate in Texas on a valid inspection certificate from the District of Columbia or any of the following states provided the certificate was obtained while the owner of the vehicle resided in the other jurisdiction: Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

HAve you seen this site?:How to Import a car to the UK from the US

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
Spain you had to take your car in for safety testing also. They check the ball joints and all that stuff. No smog type testing just safety. Also if you had a rust hole bigger than your finger, say and inch round you had to repair it or the car failed.

I don't know about that changing lights etc to European. I didn't think it needed to be done when going over there but because the US cars have to have safety glass and side impact and other higher safety standards cars coming from Europe to here is sometimes a major operation to get them to comply with US regs.

Personally, I wouldn't let anyone mess with my car other than to just ship it and do the rest myself. Have you checked with your motor vehicles place and asked what the requirements are on a vehicle being imported from the US? It might not need anything other than the MOT testing done. I would be sure to check that out so you aren't getting ripped off.

Deb

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
In an MOT test, they put the car on a Dyno and perform a Functionary test of ALL 4 brakes and each one individually.

They must all pass a test for the weight of the vehicle and stopping power.

An MOT also demands that there are NO red lights that blink or flash on the rear of your motor vehicle. All Turn signals MUST be AMBER in colour. Even Hazzard lights.

FE

·
Registered
945 Posts
New Zealand is much the same as the UK, MOT type test (which must be renewed every six months) but no EPA testing.....yet. Like the UK we drive on the opposite side of the road, so headlights must be changed as they "dip" in the wrong direction, and such like.
They are very tough on imports here now and virtually strip interiors etc looking for accident damage and rust, plus any LHD vehicle under 20 years old must be converted to RHD (unless you lived and used the car overseas for atleast 90 days).
The cost to convert a typical late model vehicle here? ...... how does around $25,000 grab ya !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts