Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to buy an erson cam for my 351w that i am going to stroke to 428, the cam specs are: 304/308 duration, 653 lift. this will be a strip car, the problem is on the descripton of the cam it says the cam is for 351-380 cubic inch engines sporting 12.5-13.5:1 compression does that mean it wouldnt work in my stroker
let me know thank a lot

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's hard to comment on whether that's the right cam for your engine without knowing all the details about you engine, exhaust system and driveline, but as a general rule, installing the same cam in a bigger engine just makes the cam act smaller and lowers it's effective RPM level. Generally too, when using more cubic inches under the same intake-head-header combo the lobe seperation will be reduced some to create more overlap.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are the specs for my engine: 428 stroker, super victor intake, demon 1090, afr 225 heads, 1 3/4 ford power train headers, and race mufflers, the driveline consists of 4500 stall speed converter, 4:56 gears
im thinking of using the erson cam i mentioned above but i dont know if its enough for my engine or if its the right one lt me know thanks a lo

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found the Erson specs for those lobes and ran it through my Engine Analyzer. it seemed to work the best with a lobe seperation of 106 degrees, installed straight up. It matches you torque converter very well and made over 500 ft/lbs of torque from about 4000 and up. It peaked at slightly over 600HP at just over 6000 RPM and didn't start to fall off bad until almost 7000 RPM. The peak torque was 578 ft/lbs at 5000 RPM. I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Sounds like a gnarly cam.
I would say it'd work plenty good in your stroker.
My little '418' stroker, ONLY has a solid flat tappet Crane cam, (640-650 lift), 272-276 duration, 106 centerline.
It only made 610 hp @ 6800 and 544 TQ @ 5100........

Call AFR, call FMS, call the different cam companies if you haven't purchased a camshaft already and see what they suggest you run.............The more info the better!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts