Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever import a car from Canada lately? What are the hassles?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I haven't. Although my neighbour just imported one to Canada from the US. He said he will never do it again. He paid $500 for the car, then had to pay over $2000 in takes, duties, and other fun stuff. Then they told him that they could not let the car across the border until he had proof of ownership, and a bill of sale was not enough because, and I quote "they are too easily faked." He ended up having to go back to Washington where he got the car, register it, insure it, get all of the apropriate paperwork for it in his name, and then they finally allowed him to bring it across the border. So, if you want to import a car from Canada ... Don't, it'll cost you way more than it's worth, in both time and money.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I sold my karmann ghia to a Canadian last fall and he only needed the signed title from me, a bill of sale from me and an insurance card from his insurance company, and current tabs on the car.

But coming to the states is easy. GO get the car, have owner sign the registration (they don't have titles like ours) have him make a bill of sale, head for the border.

Get to the border and have customs fill out the importing a car paperwork, then go to your local DMV and you're good to go.

Nothing to it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I haven't. Although my neighbour just imported one to Canada from the US. He said he will never do it again. He paid $500 for the car, then had to pay over $2000 in takes, duties, and other fun stuff. Then they told him that they could not let the car across the border until he had proof of ownership, and a bill of sale was not enough because, and I quote "they are too easily faked." He ended up having to go back to Washington where he got the car, register it, insure it, get all of the apropriate paperwork for it in his name, and then they finally allowed him to bring it across the border. So, if you want to import a car from Canada ... Don't, it'll cost you way more than it's worth, in both time and money.
^^^^^^^
don't listen to this person.
for Canada if your importing a car from the USA that is older than 15 years, 72 hours before crossing fax a bill of sale and copy of the title to the border. at the border pay tax (gst) at border, $100 ac fee if equipped. then provincial tax (pst) when registering. if your driving it across obviously arrange insurance. plus any safety fees if the vehicle is not considered an antique in the Province.
Registrar of Imported Vehicles

for the original poster.
stuff that pertains to importing cars from canada to usa
Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--All Vehicles
(25 years or older)
Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements
Importing Canadian Vehicles | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Don't listen to EITHER of these two people above.

You DO NOT HAVE TO send a copy of ANYTHING to the Canadian border. You simply have the Bill of sale in hand, the TITLE and ACTIVE Canadian Insurance on the car and CURRENT Tabs.

You fill out the import paperwork at Customs, and THEN the fees he mentioned are taken care of, but there is no time frame to send info ahead of your arrival for a purchase here to go back up there. Took the guy that bought my Ghia about 2 hours to get home and he lives in Victoria BC. It's simply not that hard to do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't listen to EITHER of these two people above.

You DO NOT HAVE TO send a copy of ANYTHING to the Canadian border. You simply have the Bill of sale in hand, the TITLE and ACTIVE Canadian Insurance on the car and CURRENT Tabs.

You fill out the import paperwork at Customs, and THEN the fees he mentioned are taken care of, but there is no time frame to send info ahead of your arrival for a purchase here to go back up there. Took the guy that bought my Ghia about 2 hours to get home and he lives in Victoria BC. It's simply not that hard to do.
to bring a US car into the Canada. You 100% have to give U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) 72 hours notice. Please check the links I provided.

http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
That's weird, the guy that bought my Karmann ghia took exactly 4 hours to get it home from Oak Harbor to Burnside Victoria British Columbia Canada.

There's no 72 hour notice in that case. It was only 5 months ago, i remember it like yesterday. The guy was cruising the Island I was on and saw it and bought it just like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts