Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Car Craft it shows how to beef up your T-5 by ditching the synchronize, is this a pain?

ok, in the April 2002 Car Craft, it tells of a place that will "Pro-Shift" your T-5's 3rd 4th and 5th gears for $264. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have all 5 gears Pro-Shifted? How much hp/torque could it handle then? And my Ride is mostly a street driven, 3-4 days a week driver. I am young and dont mind my loud exhaust, my lousy gas milage, my bad suspension (with my traction bars and 5 leaf springs) or anything else like that, so i dont think i would mind a hard shifting tranny. Is that what Pro-Shifting does? JUst make it a hard hitting/shifting (neck breaking) tranny? How hard of hitting is it? Thanks, and i belive the place that does the work is called "Liberty's High Performance Products", do they acutally install the stuff or just give you a kit? Anyone know where they are located? If far away, anyone know of a place that is close to So. Cali that does it?
THANKS

·
Registered
16 Posts
In Car Craft it shows how to beef up your T-5 by ditching the synchronize, is this a pain?

i believe pro shifting allows you to shift without using a clutch, correct me if i'm wrong. But either way the hard shifts are exactly what breaks the T-5's puny gears. If you want a hard shift than power shift the thing. But if you have any kind of horsepower you better have a few spare trannies layin around because you will strip the teeth off of 3rd gear no matter what t-5 you have.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Help me out guys, i dont know if that reply was right though. I dont know about you not useing a clutch, that might be true. But in the article it says "Pro-Shifting can turn a weak-kneed factory trans into a full-throttle, slick-shifting machine that's more than capable of dragstrip abuse."
So i was under the imperision that it would help out quite a bit. Here is some more from the article:
"Pro-shifted T-5's, for example have 10gear engagement teeth (30 stock)and toploaders have 12(36stock). ...So, if you want your GM or Ford T5's scatter-prone Third gear, forth gear must also be Pro-shifted because they share a common slider"
So, whats up guys???? anyone else read the article??? Its on page 74.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

no one else has heard of this article?

·
Registered
567 Posts

my friend has a tranny in his tacoma, B&M Bumpshift, he can use the clutch normal if he wants, but at the flick of a switch, it disengages the clutch, so is acts like an auto, hold brake to stay stopped, gas to go, and to shift, he just yanks it out of gear and slaps it into the next, and it holds it at the very tip of his power band, then DROPS into gear, not a single grind or clunk, I have no idea how it works, but its damn cool. Get one!

·
Registered
16 Posts

maybe this is something new. i hope they have developed something to make a t-5 handle some good power. But i really don't think a T-5 is even close to a toyota transmision

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ok, i just found out where they are located. "Liberty's High Performance Products"
6390 Pelham Rd.
Taylor, MI 48180
(313) 278-4040
im going to give them a call and see whats up, ill you guys posted. I live in cali though, if anyone closer wants to call and ask a few questions, then post them also, that would be great.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts

You will find that 'Pro-Shifting' a manual tranny by removing the syncros, and replacing them with 'dogs' is NOT a street option. It also will NOT improve the power handling capacity of the transmission. All it does is allow HIGH rpm shifts to be made quicker and more reliably. It does NOT allow you to shift without the clutch without damage. If you want the transmission to last all season, you still fan the clutch when shifting.

If you are looking for a stronger replacement for the T5, get a Tremec.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts

If you are looking for a stronger replacement for the T5, get a Tremec.

I will second that! I have 2 1/2 broken T5's for proof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts