Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, fairly new to the whole Galaxie thing. I purchased my '67 about a year ago and ever since the trans filler tube has leaked due to the previous owner's repair of JB Weld. So I finally removed the trans pan the other day to see what all I was going to need. I can't get the filler tube disconnected from the pan, as it seems the last owner bonded it with something. The pan seems to be okay, I really just need a new filler tube but it looks as if I'll need both since I can't get one seperated from the other. Question is, where can I source a pan and filler tube for a 3-Speed "Cruise-O-Matic" 14 bolt w/ the filler tube in the pan? I've searched everywhere, new and used. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Got an old time tranny shop in your town? They may have something.

Failing that, ebay maybe?

or try a company called FATSCO. They specialize in vintage trans parts.

Other sources... vintage wrecking yards.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
try heating the nut and where it treads in to pan with a propane torch...
what ever gop, previous owner put in should soften up after you give it a good heating and beating with torch....:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've blasted it with a torch. That's how I got the JB Weld that was on there off. No luck...

I contacted my local Ford salvage yard "Rusty Acres" here in Jacksonville and no luck. I've searched eBay... no luck. I'll have to try giving a few old school trans shops a ring but until then I'm still open for suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Craigslist.org
You may have to buy a whole tranny for $30 or $50 to get the pan. The trick is to try several search phrases as it will only find exactly what you say, including the spelling. So, "Ford Trans", "ford auto trans", "Ford automatic transmission", "old ford auto tranny"and every other variation. Another way is to use Google, and search with boolean terms with "site:craigslist.org" behind it, or for a particular city like Seattle, I use "site:seattle.craigslist.org" to get results only around here. Much more powerful.

The better you get at searching, the more and better deals you'll find. It's a huge resource if you can learn the tricks.
Do the same search for rebuilt old trannies on Craigslist, like C4, FMX, or C6 rebuilders, as they often have stuff for the Cruise-O. Local, cheap, and fast.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts