Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on swapping out a set of 2.73 gears in a 8.8 w/Trac-Lok axle assembly. Im going to install a set of Ford Motorsport 3.73's. I later plan to swap out the 4 lug axles with a 5 lug set up. I'm on a real limited budget so I'm planning to do this my self, for the first time. If anyone knows of any good sources of information to help me along, I would appreciate it greatly. I was reading different articles on this subject regarding swapping gears in 8.8 axles. I read from more than one source, that "often" by using Ford Motorsport gears, it can actually eliminate the problems associated with pinion shims etc. I read that you can usually get by simply by using the existing shims from the prior pinion set up, granted that the old gears were installed correctly, such as no whinning grinding etc. Is there any truth to this or is this back yard mechanics all the way? I have already purchased a dial indicator and am fabricating a positioning plate that acts a reference point, to take the necessary measurements. If anyone can give me their 2cents, please do. Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
personally I always just took the old bearing off the pinion and saw if there was a shim in there, if so I used it on the new gears. If not then I just pressed it on

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying that you set up new Motorsport gears, just by installing the same shim(s) that had been previously installed on the old gears? Did this always work for you? Did you take any measurements or do anything besides checking the pattern with marking compound?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts