Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 1965 Mustang from a freind.
This car is a Mustang fastback with a 289 and 3 speed transmittion, it has drum brakes and no air conditioning.
This car is complete and never be changed from stock.
It has been stored for 10 years insided, and is in Chicago.
How much is this car worth, I am considering buying and fixing the car up.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
How much rust? Any wreck damage? I would say around $10k.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Arnold don't make me call you a moron. PLEASE revise your post to reflect a NON SHELBY GT350 Fastback 4 speed drag pack been in a barn for ten years price.

There is NOT ONE 65 Mustang in the WORLD with a 289 and 3 speed that's been in a barn less than 35 years that's worth more that about $3,000

Period end of story. I am an authority on buying and selling lost and found Mustangs of all years and styles.

A $10K purchase estimate for any but the most supremely unscratched original or superbly restored recently -needs no work- been sitting 10 years in a barn car is absolutely unfounded.

(sorry for my unabashed passion on this subject)

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
FE it's a fastback and fastbacks bring more money. If you a nice fastback for $3500 let me know.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Come on Arn..... $10K for a 65 Fastback unseen condition? At least ASK the feller it can get pics and proof and stuff and things before the blanket $10K statement.

I mean it's like this. If 10K get's you a piece of crap that's been in a barn, then WHY the hell has this guy not been able to get $19K almost instantaneously for his pretty damn NICE 4 speed Fastback?
Ford : Mustang FASTBACK in Ford | eBay Motors

Or this guy, why is his only fetching $1500 after 4 day's of bidding?

And $5600 for this one is almost a fair price...
Ford : Mustang Black in Ford | eBay Motors it DID sell so it was WORTH $5600 to someone, and that is the key word... For the fool and his money are soon parted....

Now this FINAL car is a phucn BEAUTY! And it went for a measly $17K. Actually SOLD for a measly 17 Thousand bucks...
Ford : Mustang 2 door in Ford | eBay Motors

Are you going to continue with your line of thinking or take a walk on MY side of the world for a day? I'm not a cheap skate, I simply know and understand the value of the dollar and the reality of supply and demand.

Simply put, the Supply does NOT demand $10K of a barn rotted 289 3 speed fastback....

Ya feel me bro? I'm not trying to harsh your mellow, I'm simply trying to get you to see out of my eyes for a minute.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
If that fastback is in any kind of decent shape $10k is not that out of line

I call bull schitt! And I PROVED it with SEVERAL live and PAST auctions.

This moron with a POS K code in his back yard minus Everything important to the car makes that car worth about $1200 bucks. Not a damn penny more. And HELL not not at $7795 for christ sake!

But there are probably HUNDREDS of Idiots out there willing to pay more because they're just plain stupid.

Just because I'm ASKING 2800 for my 68 karmann ghia, don't make it worth a penny more than whatever the guy who finally buy's it hands to me when I give him the title. Not a penny more.

And if this Barn napping 65 is worth $10K I'll suck a bowling ball through a garden hose. If it's REAL at all.... Just sayin...

So please don't look at THESE following 65 Mustangs that sold for only a FEW grand more than what Arnold suggests that the barn car is worth, and THESE cars have had $30K or $40K in work DONE to them after they were acquired...

Currently $5K, worth $10K?
Ford : Mustang GT-350 Hertz in Ford | eBay Motors

Currently $11.5K, does that mean that the barn car can be put together for a mere $1000 bucks after it's purchased? Naaaah.... Try it :)
Ford : Mustang Fastback 2+ 2 in Ford | eBay Motors

Or this car, maybe it's cool that NOBODY even bid on it and it was only starting at $2700...
Ford : Mustang fastback in Ford | eBay Motors

The mustang Fastback price range over the last year has ranged from $2K to $59K in ASKING price, but the ones that actually get SOLD are going from between $4K and $18K and the $4k cars are complete projects and the $18K cars are Full on Restorations with low miles or all Originals in pristine condition...

So I now stand back and watch y'all make up your own minds even though it pains me to see you cheat yourselves and others out of good hard earned cash.

Monty, your car is awesome, and in my opinion worth more than any other Fastback that's going to hit the road anytime soon and the work you've put into it is incredible and you're not even near done yet. I was thinking that maybe I'd get you on my side abotu this "WORTH" discussion here...

I have put up plenty of proof and nobody else had bothered even getting close to explaining how the heck a fastback in a barn or in heated storage could be worth $10K to start with.

FE :)

P.S. Sorry for getting all JC like on you :)

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Fe I have just shy of $20,000 in my car, I have almost everything bought though...I paid $2000 for my car (6cly-3 speed) an replace just about everything but I bought my car from a good friend that has 35-40 pre 68 mustangs that he bought when we graduated high school in 1996 (and are all parked in 3 polebarns)the price on the fastbacks are going through the roof, and if I would have found one like he is looking at for 10k that didn't need all the sheet metal work I would have considered it.....the cars you listed links to has 6 days left and will go way over $20k

Look at this one
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=110920206712&index=7&nav=SEARCH&nid=07052238419

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
65-66 fastbacks are sought after cars the coupes not so much but are slowly going up, granted you find a deal here or there but even if I was to sell my car the way it is now I wouldn't sell the car - the motor for under $10k....so I say if it's a v-8 car all original and solid (that is the key here) money is there.....if it needs quarters, floors, cowl repair, both fenders and a door, and whole new front end like my car I would say $2000-3000 tops because it's going to cost a crap load to repair....

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
That k-code is at mustang corral in edwardsville IL that place has been in business for over 30 years all your getting there is a title, I know the motor is in the store selling separate from the car

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
To end my rant we need detailed pictures of the car in question, and then we can talk some money lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Fe I have just shy of $20,000 in my car, I have almost everything bought though...
Money well spent! Your going to have a sweet ride. To be honest I thought 10k was a little high, But you and arnold are right. The fastbacks bring cash. Even FE's examples show they bring more.

I mean it's like this. If 10K get's you a piece of crap that's been in a barn, then WHY the hell has this guy not been able to get $19K almost instantaneously for his pretty damn NICE 4 speed Fastback?
That car isn't that nice IMO, Looks "put together" to me, and yet the bidding is at 16,500 and not over yet. Find out tommorrow what she brought or didn't

And $5600 for this one is almost a fair price...
Ford : Mustang Black in Ford | eBay Motors it DID sell so it was WORTH $5600 to someone, and that is the key word... For the fool and his money are soon parted....

Now this FINAL car is a phucn BEAUTY! And it went for a measly $17K. Actually SOLD for a measly 17 Thousand bucks...
Ford : Mustang 2 door in Ford | eBay Motors

The one for 5600 is a basiclly a roller, and in bad shape. still brought 5600.
The last one looks like a deal. but no pictures of underneath, and they state in ad it is a nice driver. But still it looks like it was a deal.

Also your assuming the car is a rust bucket. Might not be that bad. Here is one . It brought 11k, It has been sitting in a covered?? garage since 88.
Ford : Mustang Fastback in Ford | eBay Motors

It is a 6cyl with 4 bolt wheels I would think it would have brought more if it was a v8.
They do seem to bring money.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have over $3000 in my rear end and tires and wheels.....lol
lol..... But they are nice!! I only have a little over $2000 for my rear , tires and wheels, But rear tires and center section were used and front tires were free lol. Adds up quick, I think I am still under 10k on my Comet. But what are you going to do, It's not a cheap hobby:)

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
lol..... But they are nice!! I only have a little over $2000 for my rear , tires and wheels, But rear tires and center section were used and front tires were free lol. Adds up quick, I think I am still under 10k on my Comet. But what are you going to do, It's not a cheap hobby:)
Have to pay to play lol, your comet look awesome, I check up on you when there's a new post can't wait to see it done

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
They are worth what someone will pay I guess. And when I see the same car listed over and over again for a couple years in a row and not sell, I think to myself that I'm not far off the mark...

But who the schitt am I? I'll never have $10K or even $4K in my pocket to spend on a car much less on a fastback so I don't even know why I bother, except that I hate it when peoples words and ideas inflate prices...

Lastly: Buying a car for $10,000 bucks, then putting $35 to $40K into it to make it nice, then selling it for $20 to $35K don't make a lick of damn sense....

You think that with the prices on fleabay and elsewhere that these cars were either painted by Maaco or Earl Scheibe and hammered in a back yard. Who the hell can make money in selling a car for $35K that took $48K to buy and build?????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts