Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Does anyone know if both engine blocks are the same for the carbureted and EFI models?? I will be purchasing a mint 1982 Ford with a very weak engine (high miles and running on 5 cylinders). I can get a great deal on a take out engine (under 20K miles) but it has the EFI setup on it. I'm just a hobby mechanic at best, and was wondering if this engine would be good for a direct replacement???? minus the electronic stuff, i like my carburetor engines.... thanks alot for your help

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
yes you can use the EFI motor. You'll have to swap EVERYTHING over from the carbureted motor. You can reuse the EFI heads, the intake manifold will bolt right on from the carbureted motor, the biggest change being the time chain and eccentric, you'll have to get a NEW one for the 82 motor and put in the EFI, and remember to use the eccentric and timing chain cover from the carbureted motor, this way you'll have something to mount your fuel pump on and operate it!

Make sure to get the proper balance for your flywheel/flexplate, the 82 I believe is still 28oz, while all EFI motors went to 50 oz. Double check this, I'm not completely sure on this...when everything changed.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
That and there is no timing chain or fuel pump eccentric on a 300 either. The fuel pump has its own lobe in the center of the cam.

Look at the block, it may not be cut out for a fuel pump. Even if it is, its possible the EFI cam has no provision for a fuel pump. If thats the case, just run a light duty electric fuel pump, and you'll be fine. You can get a decent low cost, low pressure pump from autozone for less than $50. Other than that, I'm pretty sure everything will be an easy swap.

If you want, use the EFI exhaust manifolds with the carbed intake. WIll give you the ability to run dual pipes, but even if you Y them together, they will flow better than the single outlet exhaust manifold. They are also less likely to crack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts