Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body used/or seen an inline shifter on a 68 mustang before? I have only heard of them, but I would like to hear what some of you guys think of them. I know that u have to cut part of the fr in order to get it to go in there and then rework some stuff for it. I just wanted to see if anybody used or had seen one I think it would be really cool to be able to put one in my mustang just cuz. So if any one has let me know some pros and cons about having it.

Thanks Chaz

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Hey Chaz, run one in mine. Hurst V Gate. Couple of different "Inlines" out there, V Gate like mine, old Mr Gasket RamRod, Long makes one now, then there is some ratchet type shifter that looks wierd.

I love mine, street driven, you can down shift it. The V Gate you pull up on the lever on the front, and push into first, then just push pull. The shifter throw is actually a little longer than a super shifter, but no laterals.

Here are some pics in my making progress thread, you can get an idea of how big the hole is. http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/makin-progress/483099-67-mustang-coupe-2.html

The V Gate hole is smaller than the Super Shifter hole, you have to cut the Trans Tunnel cross member for that. Ditto with a Long. V Gate rods are not straight so they do curve and clear the trans support member.

I actually cut mine a little too big, but did it in such a way if I decide to put the car back stock ,I can weld the piece in (saved it) and it will be fine.

Its a blast to drive, shifts awesome. I plan on keeping it in there, unless I go with the Jericho trans and then a Long shifter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come to find out my dad happened to have an inline shifter on him fastback he had when he was a kid, him and his dad put it in and reworked the Trans. Hump so that it would work. He said he had a blast with it and thought it was pretty cool to have. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I got my Jerico from Jerico new, want to say it was total with shifter around 5500? Im not having total recall here lol
I would want to forget that kind of cash drop too:eek:

They are proud of them, is yours the Road Race or straight DR4 Drag. I think I saw a video of you down shifting it.

I was looking at Kees, he sells them, not sure they are quite that high though. If I win the lottery, I would go ahead and get the Lenco Street 5.

I will quit buying high end shotguns and get back to the car!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I got the DR4 and the road race sliders installed in it. No problems with shifting up or down without the clutch what so ever, just a blip of the throttle to unload the gear set. There are quite a few DR4's on epay that are pretty reasonable, and easy as hell to rebuild if need be

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I got the DR4 and the road race sliders installed in it. No problems with shifting up or down without the clutch what so ever, just a blip of the throttle to unload the gear set. There are quite a few DR4's on epay that are pretty reasonable, and easy as hell to rebuild if need be
Awesme, thanks, even the road race needs to be "blipped or double clutched, I thought the sliders would make it like a reg tranny. I am weak on this stuff.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I just have to blip it real quick to up shift without the clutch because if you dont its hard on your clutch without a slipper. If I had a slipper clutch then I would be able to shift full throttle clutchless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.