Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out the input shaft this morning to count the splines so I can go and get my torque converter later today. I counted it and tried to put it back in to engage the forward drum but the shaft won't go in. I turn it around and it engages fine (the short splines) but no matter what I do the long splines won't mesh with the forward drum. What the hell happened? Last week when I finished rebuilding the tranny I had the shaft in and out a few times and had no trouble reinstalling it, now after sitting a week or so this happens. Please tell me there's a trick to getting the input shaft back in right without having to pull the tranny apart again. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I think if you count the splines on both ends, you will find out they have a different count. If that is true, then only one end will properly mesh in the front drum.

My old foggy brain tells me that the long spline end goes in the torque converter not the short spline end.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, maybe I'm getting confused. Let's double check something. The short splines engage the forward drum, is this correct? This was the side that I had no problem inserting into the tranny. The long splines is what goes toward the torque converter, right. This was the side that I was trying to install into the tranny and that may be why it won't go in. I tried rotating it and gently pushing it to make it go in but it won't. I hope I'm correct in this post cause then I'm happy everything's cool but I'm very pissed that I wasted a few hours of my morning for nothing.

Just to make sure also, my short spline count is 24, and the long spline count is 26.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sounds right to me. And the 26 spline is correct for most later model (after 1966) C4's for the torque convertor.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That is because the forward drum is 24 splines and the converter shoud be 26 splines. The end with the short set odf 24 splines goes into the drum.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2002-02-20 19:11, windsoreight wrote:
That is because the forward drum is 24 splines and the converter shoud be 26 splines. The end with the short set odf 24 splines goes into the drum.
thanks guys, yes I guess I had a case of brain fade this morning. Pulled the shaft out to measure the spline count and ended up measuring the short side then try to put the opposite side back in. DDUUHHHH!!!!!!

Anyways, got my TC today, just a stk. replacement one brand new for $70 Can. and the last few days I've been busy getting the motor all ready to come out of the parts car. My friend, (we'll call him Mr. GM Freak, sure you all can figure out why) is lending me his engine stand tomorrow and my other friend (Mr. 5.0 pal) will be coming by with his engine hoist this weekend and the engine from the parts car will be out and on the stand soon. I figured a couple weeks of prepping and cleaning the parts and the engine and it will be ready to go into my 78 car once I repeat the removal process with the 250 6cyl. and the C4 also...... and March isn't even here yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts