Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone market an aftermarket input shaft for a C-4 using a C-6 converter?? Currently using the PA spline adapter but am worried about the abuse it is about to take behind a new big block combo. It worked well with a 680HP ?? combo that was in it before, but the car weighs 3880 with driver and I have stepped the combo up a couple of notches in the last year.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
89 coupe Kent mentioned it might of been protrans that were making a c4 pump to take a c6 input shaft if that helps any.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Do you by any chance have a contact number or web site address for them. thanks again.

Travis

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Here's the info

ProTrans in Lancaster, CA has a billet aluminum drop-in 7 clutch direct drum that takes AOD clutches. Their number is (661)940-7400

Got the info from Pro Trans. The billet alum std C4 drum is $395. The billet alum oversize piston for use with 7 AOD Alto race clutches, and 7 AOD Kolene steels is $495. That should pretty much eliminate any high gear heavy wear or failure. I'm ordering it in a couple hours with a #2 roller thrust bearing and the Art Carr billet steel foreward drum with #3 roller thrust bearing. Pro Trans has a special all new 2.03/1.40/1:1 gear set for the C4 and to prevent rear planetary breakage during heavy tire shake in 1500-1700hp cars he has come up with a billet steel 6 pinion fully rolerized REAR planetary assembly with new sun gear assembly. All straight cut gears with no thrusing. He has like 20 or more different C4 gear ratios between 2.03:1 and 2.89:1 for 1st gear and go in .02-.04 increments(i.e. 2.03, 2.05, 2.08, etc...). They are taking the C4 to the next level for hp levels never before though possible thru a C4. Even an aluminum billet reverse drum is in the work. These guys are awesom How about a billet foreward drum and billet front pump for use with a C6 input shaft? It's in the works Now to get someone to make an aftermarket C4 main case

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thats good info Greg.....as think I mentioned before..... after looking inside a glide, apart from the actual pack size, most other components are way better/heavier in the C4. I just kept thinking to myself, there MUST be a way to keep these things in one piece. This sort of stuff is all the C4 builders have been waiting for to build a high hp trans. Most glides that are built to handle some real hp have what stock parts in them?? Basically none...they replace the pump, input and output shafts, planets, drums, servo...even the case. About the only thing they have in common with a stock trans is the name!!
Doesn't look like ProTrans has a website....??

·
Registered
945 Posts
Oh...just looked at the date this thread was posted. Did you get that drum Greg? If so any comments? if not....??

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
No i didn't .Kent 89 coupe did at the time.I have pics he sent me if you would like to see the protrans hi/rev drum. Kent identified a machining problem with the billet forward drum that stopped from adding any clutches and suggested to leave it alone.
I posted a while ago that i read in a U.S racepages paper that DYNAMIC were doing a c4 pump that took a c6 input shaft but i havent been able to find anymore about it. .

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ok, thats rings a bell, when you mentioned not being able to put more clutches in the drum. Damn....

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Saw a bit in a U.S race paper that Dynamic were doing the C6 input shaft to C4.....Never seen anything online about it though.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Perhaps I am just a grizzley old ba####d.....but this originated from over two years ago.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is there a way to cut C6 splines into a C$ fowerd drum?Cheaply?

And yes its old..but I very interested, obviously....

·
Registered
945 Posts
On 2006-09-03 06:04, 8liter wrote:
Is there a way to cut C6 splines into a C$ fowerd drum?Cheaply?

Yes, broaching. Do a search for companies in your area that does broaching, call them and see if they have a broach to fit your specs. If they do, your laughing....find afew drums to do as its a very quick process.
Failing that, contact companies that supply aftermarket C6 drums, tell them what you want to do and see if they will give you contact details of the company that makes the drums for them...they will have the correct broach.
Failing that, they can be cut by any good machine shop that has a slotting attachment. However, the splines will be cut individually.The process and setup will take alot longer and be more expensive.

And yes its old..but I very interested, obviously....
Obviously.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, I finally saw a C6 input in a C4 pump at the NMRA world finals this year. It was a sweet set up, it used the C6 output shaft as well. The guy from Dynamic said it was a $900 option.

cmf60, sorry but I just had to tell ya. lol!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: Input shaft>??

I just wanted to bump this thread since it has some pretty cool parts listed. Any more info on this stuff?? I'm considering the 2.03 gearset from pro-trans and some of the aluminum parts.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: Input shaft>??

Not interested in a whole transmission, since I build my own, but thanks anyway. I was just curious about the Pro-Trans parts that are listed in this thread. I'm interested in the aluminum pump (not necessarily the c6 input shaft) and the 2.03 gear set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts