Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I disassembled an engine for the first time in my life (while watching the Coke 600). It is 351W (D4AE-6015-AA). I have looked over the things that Tom Monroe in The Engine Builders Handbook says to inspect and my amateur eyes think it looks pretty good, except for one thing - the water jacket is very rusty.

Questions:

1. Is it possible that the rust in the water jacket is so bad, I shouldn't even bother having a machinist inspect it? If so, how can I tell?

2. The main bearings have ".010" stamped on them. I assume this means the crank has been reground -.010". Am I correct? The bores seem to be standard, but I am measuring with a cheap dial caliper, so there is lots of room for inaccuracy.

3. What else should I look for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
First thing to do is have it hot tanked. This will remove all of the rust and scale. Most shops don't even hot tank any more. They us a baking process that leaves the block very clean. Next, have the block maged. Check the areas around the main saddles. Check all of the threaded holes for damage. Especially the ones that go into the water jacket on the deck. 351 blocks are stout, I personally think your ok on this one. Yes the crank is .010 undersize. What are ya gonna build?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 5/28/02 12:18am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Something to look out for in later 351W blocks is the fact that the bores wear strange & sometimes will not clean up at .030 especially if you want to square them. Have that checked as well. Look closely at where the water pooled when the engine sat, I have a D0VE 429 with the block rusted through in two places... not pretty.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. 85Mike, I aim to build a 1 hp / cu in, .030 over, standard crank motor for my Torino. I am still thinking about the combination, but I am leaning toward the build up Hot Rod did in their "Junk Yard Jewel" series (except I will have the machine work done). I need to keep the cost down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.